• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Timers: Which One Do You Like?

Okanagancook

I have a brand new ThermoWorks timer that's never been opened, and probably never will be — though I did use one before smart speakers.

It's too easy to say "Hey Google, set a timer for 35 minutes" or "Alexa, set a timer for 35 minutes" — and walk away without touching anything.

And if any entity is interested in the boredom and monotony of this household — they are a PATHETIC lot!!! xD

We set timers or reminders several times a day.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I like this Oxo:

81VF8uZXbuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a lot smaller than the picture. I started by shopping for the cool commercial timer they use on Top Chef. I found it and was about to pull the trigger when I read the reviews. Mostly, "this is great, but it's made for loud commercial kitchen, and the alarm will make you jump out of your skin. There's no way to turn it down." Deal breaker.

The Oxo isn't as cool, but is good enough—and it's loud enough without being crazy. It has a quite decent UI with real buttons, so I can usually set it without looking, and while doing something with my other hand. For anything beyond 3 timers, or if I need more features (like labelling what each timer is for) I have kitchen timer app on the phone. The oxo handles things most of the time. 

Only 2 complaints: it's not at all water resistant, so you could wreck it by spilling on it. And  it's a little wobbly. You have to hold it down while pressing the keys or it will tip. It could stand to be heavier and to have the little feet closer to the corners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Notes from the underbelly

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

But North Korea knows what you cook.

So just turn it off when you discuss top secret information.   You can unplug it while you discuss the nuclear codes.   I would have thought q branch would have shown you how to do that.

We have the echo show connected to a recently added echo wall clock for countdowns. It's great except when you have a noisy house of kids and yappy dogs. Repeating 'Alexa turn off the timer' 10x can get annoying real fast.

EchoWall.JPG

• Haha 2

That wasn't chicken

I have this AcuRite triple timer and am very happy with it. It counts up, it counts down, it has memory, and it beeps loudly. It mounts to the refrigerator with magnets, but can also stand on the counter. It uses batteries rather than 110v (when I have power I can use the microwave or stove timer) and it does not need an internet connection. It does not respond to voice commands.

20200504_104809.jpg

I won it as a door prize, so have no idea how much it cost. It was probably inexpensive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have this (click) little generic timer from Amazon. When the time is up, the beep is incredibly, annoyingly loud.

It does have a magnet on the back so I can put it on my stove hood at eye level. It also has a little bracket in the back so you can stand it up (tilted) on the counter.

It's not a smart timer but I think I'm smart enough for the both of us.xD

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I generally only use this simple one. As you can see it is well-used. Like so many others, it has a magnet to attach to the fridge or can stand on the counter. Loud of enough for me.

timer.thumb.jpg.277f355f5f2dd7cd59804478cfd21537.jpg

If I need to use more than one timer at once (extremely rare), I also have one on each of my two cell phones.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

If I need to use more than one timer at once (extremely rare), I also have one on each of my two cell phones.

As well as the two Thermworks timers in my kitchen, on those rare occasions I need a third then I use a kitchen timer app on my android phone that looks like an old-time kitchen timer.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

My Echo arrived yesterday and I have been bossing around Alexa ever since.  The timer function is excellent so far.  Might be a challenge with a kitchen full of guests but that’s not gonna happen for awhile.

• Like 4