• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Atlantic: "The Pandemic Will Change American Retail Forever"

chromedome

Posted here because there's a beefy section about the restaurant industry.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/how-pandemic-will-change-face-retail/610738

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome, Thank you for posting this.

I can already see changes happening. While the article's author says that the mom & pop restaurant will become a thing of the past, I say the proverbial pendulum swings both ways. They will return, some may actually survive.

And his assertion that grocery delivery is the future ain't going to happen with me. You want me to trust some kid to pick out a nice watermelon or head of lettuce? They don't know what they're doing and even if they did I wouldn't trust them to do it right. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@chromedome, Thank you for posting this.

I can already see changes happening. While the article's author says that the mom & pop restaurant will become a thing of the past, I say the proverbial pendulum swings both ways. They will return, some may actually survive.

And his assertion that grocery delivery is the future ain't going to happen with me. You want me to trust some kid to pick out a nice watermelon or head of lettuce? They don't know what they're doing and even if they did I wouldn't trust them to do it right.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it yet myself (and of course, the fact that we've gotten off *very* light, virus-wise, contributes as well).

I'd certainly have no qualm about ordering dry goods or pantry staples this way, but I really prefer to pick my produce personally (literally, in the garden sense, when possible). Also, a lot of my ordinary shopping consists of browsing the store for markdowns (aka "targets of opportunity"). A discerning eye is extra-important with those.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Yeah, that's why I haven't done it yet myself (and of course, the fact that we've gotten off *very* light, virus-wise, contributes as well).

I'd certainly have no qualm about ordering dry goods or pantry staples this way, but I really prefer to pick my produce personally (literally, in the garden sense, when possible). Also, a lot of my ordinary shopping consists of browsing the store for markdowns (aka "targets of opportunity"). A discerning eye is extra-important with those.

Agreed. Delivery wont be a big thing for most people who are mobile. It's not cheap and the shoppers mostly don't care or understand that biscuits aren't crescent rolls and half and half isnt heavy cream.

• Like 2

I finally read the article. My first impression was that it was lazy, repeat- the-narrative writing. 

Final nail in the coffin for department stores. Mom and pop are going out of business too. We all gonna never be the same.

Except experience doesn't bear that out.  9/11 was cataclysmic, but things went back to pretty much the same normal in time. Businesses will adapt.

And unless Corona permanently damages taste, there will always be good pizza shops to compete with Domino's  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I finally read the article. My first impression was that it was lazy, repeat- the-narrative writing. 

Final nail in the coffin for department stores. Mom and pop are going out of business too. We all gonna never be the same.

Except experience doesn't bear that out.  9/11 was cataclysmic, but things went back to pretty much the same normal in time. Businesses will adapt.

And unless Corona permanently damages taste, there will always be good pizza shops to compete with Domino's  

This area in North Jersey has many pizza venues.  What I see are Domino's deliveries.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This area in North Jersey has many pizza venues.  What I see are Domino's deliveries.

A mystery to me. Only advantage of Dominos that I can see is that they will sell you 10 pies without breaking a sweat, so groups benefit.

• Like 1

very interesting article.

there  will be a lot of pain for smaller business's

Mom and Pop ,    Carts of stuff  in the center isles of Malls  

and small, local restaurants.

I wonder if Thai Noodle is still around now.  cant bear to find out.

the vast majority of businesses are mortgaged to very high levels , 

and require traffic to service those loans.

9/11  was far more psychological , unless you were in or near NYC.

this pandemic effects the entire financial and commercial system of the world.

when and if the pandemic is reasonably controlled  via a vaccine

trade and commerce will resprout

but  many small businesses   will not be able to reopen , due to their

crushing debt.   and debt for those that are not large business's

will unlikely to be forgiven.

a newer ' small restaurant ' model will take over

might be a lot more food trucks.   not something real estate moguls

will appreciate.

• Like 2