• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchased! - Potential BlueStar Range Purchase

CentralMA

This just in:

Hi [SLB],

Just received an update from Bluestar.

They no longer make the mechanical thermostat assembly anymore, it has been upgraded to electronic

To purchase the upgrade kit it is $335.24 (does not include S&H or labor cost)

[APPLIANCE REPAIR TECH]

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Sad 2

Dear SLB, that is horrible!!!

I would investigate if there was some way of jury-rigging a fix or even exploring if a competitor's assembly could be used or made to work.

That's like getting a flat tire and having to throw away the car because they don't make that tire any more.

p

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, SLB said:

This just in:

Hi [SLB],

Just received an update from Bluestar.

They no longer make the mechanical thermostat assembly anymore, it has been upgraded to electronic

To purchase the upgrade kit it is $335.24 (does not include S&H or labor cost)

[APPLIANCE REPAIR TECH]

Is this the RCS you bought in the early 2010s?

Notes from the underbelly

Ha. No, just curious. Unfortunately your range is from a time when they were having major quality problems. I'd say "quality control" but many of the problems look like design flaws ... like the oven floor rivets, and the door hinges. They've fixed all this stuff. I know that doesn't do you any good.

And I know no one wants to spend $400 on an oven thermostat—but I don't think that's the worst news. Those are parts that do die over the course of decades. A bonus with Bluestar is they come apart like lego and are easy to work on. There are youtube videos that show you how to replace the part, and probably the only tool you'll need is a philips screwdriver. The only thing that looks tricky is routing wires through the oven.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 months later...

At long last:  my oven is back in service.  Roasting beets as I report in.  

Pork roast going into brine tomorrow.  

The tech said:  "By the way?  You need a new convection fan.  It's rusted out."

I laughed like a person who belongs in the lunacy hospital.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2