• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchased! - Potential BlueStar Range Purchase

CentralMA

47 minutes ago, SLB said:

I just want everyone to know, the oven in my bluestar will not light this SuperBowl Sunday. 

This will be the third oven repair in nine years.  Repeat, nine. 

Is that good or bad?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I just want everyone to know, the oven in my bluestar will not light this SuperBowl Sunday. 

This will be the third oven repair in nine years.  Repeat, nine. 

That sucks. Is it the ignitor?

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I hope so.  Something else in it broke once and cost a fortune.  

But it quit while running, which seems like a new twist.    

Is there a regulator for the oven? I think so.

Our BS has been a beast for 3 or 4 years.

Rx:

1. Oven floor needs replacing because rivets on the sides holding the pieces together corroded.  Existing piece may be able to be rigged with some bolts, which is what the tech recommends.
  2. Said oven floor fell onto the burner and igniter when the rivets failed.  
  3. Entire igniter assembly is broken.
  4. Oven burner is corroded and needs to be replaced (again).

Parts estimate coming. 

Tech was wonderful and it was nice to have an actual person in my home.

I may just go ahead and get me a Magic Chef. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SLB said:

Rx:

1. Oven floor needs replacing because rivets on the sides holding the pieces together corroded.  Existing piece may be able to be rigged with some bolts, which is what the tech recommends.
  2. Said oven floor fell onto the burner and igniter when the rivets failed.  
  3. Entire igniter assembly is broken.
  4. Oven burner is corroded and needs to be replaced (again).

Parts estimate coming. 

Tech was wonderful and it was nice to have an actual person in my home.

I may just go ahead and get me a Magic Chef. 

That's horrible.

You might contact BS. This shouldn't happen.

Sorry to hear about the problem.  I had a SIL with a Viking with a similar 2 piece floor, and the rivets - or welds, don't recall which, failed.  I agree with the tech that nut and bolt would be a great repair.  Something sounds wrong if the burner tube rusted out again -  I could see that with a burner tube in an outdoor grill which is subject to tons of humidity, but I would want to contact BS to see if they can help with the cost of the part. 

• Like 2

Update:  Bluestar had no idea what was going on.  But they did offer 25% off the parts, so I appreciate the nudge from you folks.  

I pulled the records, that burner had been last replaced in 2015.  

I'll check with the tech if there isn't some humidity problem in my homemade kitchen plumbing . . . .

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, SLB said:

Update:  Bluestar had no idea what was going on.  But they did offer 25% off the parts, so I appreciate the nudge from you folks.  

I pulled the records, that burner had been last replaced in 2015.  

I'll check with the tech if there isn't some humidity problem in my homemade kitchen plumbing . . . .

The byproducts of burning natural gas are CO2 and H2O, there will be humidity within the oven (one of the reasons my wife wasn't keen on going away from our electric oven). Do you have other local to your area possibilities that could "attack" your oven? Near the sea (salt air, a killer of outdoor grills), other excessively humid environment?

Quick question: For the repair did the range need to moved, or was the fix able to be completed through the front of the oven?

And I'm intrigued with your "homemade kitchen plumbing". Got any pics? 

curley.jpg

Edited by CentralMA (log)

I have the Blue Star Platinum Range, and while I've never had any operational issues with my oven, I have noticed that the moisture produced when the oven is turned on is much higher than what I've experienced with other ovens. The moisture fogs up the glass . . . and then dissipates as it heats up.  Not in and of itself a problem for me, but something I have found unusual.

37 minutes ago, IEATRIO said:

I have the Blue Star Platinum Range, and while I've never had any operational issues with my oven, I have noticed that the moisture produced when the oven is turned on is much higher than what I've experienced with other ovens. The moisture fogs up the glass . . . and then dissipates as it heats up.  Not in and of itself a problem for me, but something I have found unusual.

Same scenario with my install.

Not only foggy glass during the initial heat up, but I have a stainless wall piece behind the range, the left side of the venting seems to produce quite a bit of moisture. 

I'm betting the glass fog is due to a tighter, more energy efficient oven space.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SLB said:

Newsflash!  Oven won't light!  

Sigh.  

The oven lights slowly. Who knows why. Its a Blue Star  thing

Set the temp and walk away for a couple minutes.

• Like 1

No -- it wasn't lighting at all.  

Turns out the new igniter was bad, see image below with strange white spots at the top.  It did something weird when it was first installed  -- sparked like it was burning off something -- which the tech noted, but then it smoothed out, and worked fine for about 2 weeks. 

Until yesterday, with a 10-egg frittata ready for some hear, no dice.  

Bluestar is sending me another new igniter.  Squabble over the labor -- I see the problem as about the warranty of the latest igniter, and not any error on the part of the tech.  So tech needs to be paid by them for the replacement work.

I'm confident we'll work it out.  

But in the meantime, it's back to Stovetop Cooking.  

IMG_1369.JPG

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SLB said:

No -- it wasn't lighting at all.  

Turns out the new igniter was bad, see image below with strange white spots at the top.  It did something weird when it was first installed  -- sparked like it was burning off something -- which the tech noted, but then it smoothed out, and worked fine for about 2 weeks. 

Until yesterday, with a 10-egg frittata ready for some hear, no dice.  

Bluestar is sending me another new igniter.  Squabble over the labor -- I see the problem as about the warranty of the latest igniter, and not any error on the part of the tech.  So tech needs to be paid by them for the replacement work.

I'm confident we'll work it out.  

But in the meantime, it's back to Stovetop Cooking.  

IMG_1369.JPG

wow

look at that!

On 3/10/2021 at 9:08 AM, Gayle28607 said:

@CentralMA How are you liking your Blue Star? I’d love an update when you have time. This has been a very informative thread.

Well, so far I'm quite pleased. The cooktop is better than I imagined. My wife is getting quite comfortable with the gas oven, excellent results so far. The banana bread has been the hit of the neighborhood kids.

I've stated in earlier posts that it was a struggle to get my better half to acquiesce to a $5000 range. I pushed the purchase with her almost knowing when I signed....

Now I wish I had gone with the 36", lost 6" of cabinets and gained a griddle. My wife thinks the same. Ah well.

And Trump paid for 1/2 of the range, now Biden is paying for the other half. Life is good.

On other news, we've got a water main break in the front of the house. Full shutdown 8am - 4pm tomorrow. Just put buckets out in the front walk, filled them with water. Maybe 50 - 60 gallons. For the neighbors, and our own use. It's a real crappy neighborhood....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CentralMA said:

Well, so far I'm quite pleased. The cooktop is better than I imagined. My wife is getting quite comfortable with the gas oven, excellent results so far. The banana bread has been the hit of the neighborhood kids.

I've stated in earlier posts that it was a struggle to get my better half to acquiesce to a $5000 range. I pushed the purchase with her almost knowing when I signed....

Now I wish I had gone with the 36", lost 6" of cabinets and gained a griddle. My wife thinks the same. Ah well.

I'm glad to know about your positive experience with the oven, too. I've been thinking about getting one of these - also 30 inch because of existing cabinetry. I think hearing both the good AND the bad is useful, at least for me. I'm in no rush as I have a Kenmore Elite glass cooktop that is serviceable. But when the electricity goes out, which happens often enough, I find myself longing for the days when I had a gas stove. I'll have to get the gas line routed to the kitchen and so on, much like you, so I've book marked this as it has been illuminating regarding the various things to think about.

gayle28607

• 3 months later...

As others have noted, this has been an informative thread - thanks all!

I just purchased a new 30" open-burner RCS - pedestrian by Bluestar's standards, but quite the dream of mine. I'm looking forward to getting it installed in 2 weeks or so after we get some other work done for a backsplash and hood. It will be perversely amusing seeing a kick-ass range like that in our shabby old kitchen... function over form, baby! Maybe we'll rehab the kitchen once we put the kids through college and with luck the Bluestar will still be kicking by then. :)

Any info or tips on the current Bluestar RCS or parts are appreciated. Sounds like I'll want to give some attention to adjusting the simmer burner at least. I'm interested in the "DIY 22K Burner" option that others have mentioned. Seems like the 18K/22K burners are still available online without a serial number and the orifice is a standard part, unless something has changed recently. I could easily live with "just" the 15K burners but having a single 22K sounds awfully enticing for stir-fry work. If anyone has, like... burned their house down - or racked up a huge repair bill - that would be nice to know. I'm not sold on it either way yet. We'll have a relatively modest 450 CFM hood running at 28" above the stove, but I can't see us running more than a single burner at full blast. It's rare I have more than two pots on the stove in the first place, especially if I'm stir-frying.

I'm also looking ahead to replacing my old 14" flat-bottom wok with a mix of excitement and sorrow. My girlfriend (now wife of 20+ years) and I mail-ordered that wok from The Wok Shop back in college. Ah... the days of putting a check in an envelope. The wok is the oldest pan in our kitchen. But I've got to get a round-bottom wok to use those fancy new burners, right? Do Bluestar wokkers go with a 14" or 16"? Or even something bigger? Seems like the burners should handle a 16" (especially at 22K), which would be convenient when stir-frying for bigger groups though it probably doesn't leave much space on other burners. I could maybe do both a 14" and a 16" round. Storage space isn't that tight here.

Can't wait to cook on this thing.

• Like 1

Definitely adjust the simmer burner.  There are you tubes...very easy.  Or ask the installer to do it

I just have the 15 K burners which are plenty hot for any cooking I do. Certainly hotter than what's in a Chinese home range where lots of woks are used.

1 hour ago, tppytel said:

As others have noted, this has been an informative thread - thanks all!

I just purchased a new 30" open-burner RCS - pedestrian by Bluestar's standards, but quite the dream of mine. I'm looking forward to getting it installed in 2 weeks or so after we get some other work done for a backsplash and hood. It will be perversely amusing seeing a kick-ass range like that in our shabby old kitchen... function over form, baby! Maybe we'll rehab the kitchen once we put the kids through college and with luck the Bluestar will still be kicking by then. :)

Any info or tips on the current Bluestar RCS or parts are appreciated. Sounds like I'll want to give some attention to adjusting the simmer burner at least. I'm interested in the "DIY 22K Burner" option that others have mentioned. Seems like the 18K/22K burners are still available online without a serial number and the orifice is a standard part, unless something has changed recently. I could easily live with "just" the 15K burners but having a single 22K sounds awfully enticing for stir-fry work. If anyone has, like... burned their house down - or racked up a huge repair bill - that would be nice to know. I'm not sold on it either way yet. We'll have a relatively modest 450 CFM hood running at 28" above the stove, but I can't see us running more than a single burner at full blast. It's rare I have more than two pots on the stove in the first place, especially if I'm stir-frying.

I'm also looking ahead to replacing my old 14" flat-bottom wok with a mix of excitement and sorrow. My girlfriend (now wife of 20+ years) and I mail-ordered that wok from The Wok Shop back in college. Ah... the days of putting a check in an envelope. The wok is the oldest pan in our kitchen. But I've got to get a round-bottom wok to use those fancy new burners, right? Do Bluestar wokkers go with a 14" or 16"? Or even something bigger? Seems like the burners should handle a 16" (especially at 22K), which would be convenient when stir-frying for bigger groups though it probably doesn't leave much space on other burners. I could maybe do both a 14" and a 16" round. Storage space isn't that tight here.

Can't wait to cook on this thing.

OK. As the original poster I'll add in here.

I love my BlueStar. I did go with the big burners, and Im glad I did. I've sourced two woks, thrift store finds (months of searching, I'm picky), sizes vary by about 2 to 3 inches. Maybe 4. 

My wife works with some lovely people that have been instructing her on the finesse of Vietnamese eggrolls. With the woks and the BlueStar the results have been very nice.

My wife, the baker, has adjusted to a gas oven. Great results.

My recently acquired heavy Darto pan has become the implement of choice.

It just gets better and better. I should have bought this years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CentralMA said:

OK. As the original poster I'll add in here.

I love my BlueStar.

It just gets better and better. I should have bought this years ago.

Completely agree. Who knew a simple really hot bunch of burners would be more....fun.

• Like 1