• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth

16 hours ago, CentralMA said:

I'm thinking I could be happy with the base RCS, 15k burners. Going down the rabbit hole of mumkin's links it looks like with a little bit of chicanery and a couple of hundred dollars I could save eight hundred and have higher output.

Still looking for input....I've not placed the order as yet.

Thanks all.

I don't own a blue star, but I have a GE with one larger burner, about 21k and it does come in useful for boiling water for pasta and wok cooking.     That said, I looked into various options like a 3/4 inch gas pipe and a professional range before coming to the conclusion I was being a bit crazy.  

The reason I am posting is to caution you about going around manufacturers guidelines to save a few bucks.   Part of what talked me out of the professional stove was looking into various fire codes and ordinances.  When you start to tinker with a range you at a minimum void any warranty, you may also void your home owners insurance if you have a fire.  I would proceed with caution.       

Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth

I'm thinking I could be happy with the base RCS, 15k burners. Going down the rabbit hole of mumkin's links it looks like with a little bit of chicanery and a couple of hundred dollars I could save eight hundred and have higher output.

Thanks all.

I don't own a blue star, but I have a GE with one larger burner, about 21k and it does come in useful for boiling water for pasta and wok cooking.     That said, I looked into various options like a 3/4 inch gas pipe and a professional range before coming to the conclusion I was being a bit crazy.  

The reason I am posting is caution you about going around manufacturers guidelines to save a few bucks.   Part of what talked me out of the professional stove was looking into various fire codes and ordinances.  When you start to tinker with a range you at a minimum void any warranty, you may also void your home owners insurance if you have a fire.  I would proceed with caution.   I think if it really means that much to you to have a 20k+ burner, I would just part with the extra money.   

Dr. Teeth

Dr. Teeth

Thanks all.