• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

As the wonderful cook @liuzhou has mentioned elsewhere, when the question was about home wok burners, basically no one in China has a burner anywhere near the equivalent of a wok burner in their home.  

How much time (provided you don't burn the shit out of it, or evaporate it completely) is someone saving making a pan sauce because she has a 22K BTU burner on her stove?

12 hours ago, CentralMA said:

If you've ever worked in a well equipped restaurant kitchen you'll understand that the power burners are the ones most used. Makes fast and easy work of cooking, with all of the adjustments you need.  

You're not in a restaurant kitchen; you're home, where cooking ought be pleasurable, not performed as if you're in the weeds.

And yes, I've worked in a restaurant kitchen. Personally, a 24" fridge would drive me crazy; in our tiny NYC apartment, I was very adamant with our architect about wanting a 33" full depth fridge, and got one.

weinoo

weinoo

As the wonderful cook @liuzhou has mentioned elsewhere, when the question was about home wok burners, basically no one in China has a burner anywhere near the equivalent of a wok burner in their home.  

How much time (provided you don't burn the shit out of it, or evaporate it completely) is someone saving making a pan sauce because she has a 22K BTU burner on her stove?

12 hours ago, CentralMA said:

If you've ever worked in a well equipped restaurant kitchen you'll understand that the power burners are the ones most used. Makes fast and easy work of cooking, with all of the adjustments you need.  

You're not in a restaurant kitchen; you're home, where cooking ought be pleasurable, not performed as if you're in the weeds.

And yes, I've worked in a restaurant kitchen.