• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are big name chefs doing what they can for their staff?

Kim Shook

Interesting article. 

Eric Rivera says:  In a CNBC interview, Chang described this time first and foremost as “easily the hardest couple weeks of my life.” In a Yahoo Finance interview, Tom Colicchio said he thought that it was a bad idea for restaurants to be open for takeout, considering those restaurants would only be making $5,000 a night. He followed it up with, “But the restaurants are doing this because they’re struggling, I understand the intention, I had the same desire to make sure my staff is kept whole. But it’s just not a good thing to do right now.”  These statements reek of privilege.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of other perspectives. 

Gabrielle Hamilton, writing about Prune in the NYT:  My Restaurant Was My Life for 20 Years. Does the World Need It Anymore? 

Related podcast episode of The Sunday Read: Closing the restaurant that was my life for 20 years

An interview with Chef Edward Lee who pivoted his Lee Initiative young chef mentoring program into an operation supporting out of work restaurant staff across the country: US restaurants band together to feed out-of-work staff

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 2

Restaurant finances are complicated. Being a "big name" does not necessarily pencil out to big bucks - more often huge responsibility and worry.  We are in uncharted territory. 

They are trying. The articles are everywhere as the scramble progresses. Here are just 3

https://la.eater.com/2020/4/24/21235075/restaurants-deliver-home-meals-for-seniors-shelter-in-place

https://www.eater.com/2020/4/27/21238267/paycheck-protection-program-gets-additional-310-billion-in-funding

https://la.eater.com/2020/4/23/21231563/71-above-emil-eyvazoff-los-angeles-restaurant-ppp-federal-loan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Interesting article. 

Eric Rivera says:  In a CNBC interview, Chang described this time first and foremost as “easily the hardest couple weeks of my life.” In a Yahoo Finance interview, Tom Colicchio said he thought that it was a bad idea for restaurants to be open for takeout, considering those restaurants would only be making $5,000 a night. He followed it up with, “But the restaurants are doing this because they’re struggling, I understand the intention, I had the same desire to make sure my staff is kept whole. But it’s just not a good thing to do right now.”  These statements reek of privilege.

I don't think so, at least not in what Tom was saying a month ago.  He was, as he should be, worried about the health of the workers keeping those restaurants open, doing deliveries, etc. etc.  The only way to truly stop the spread is for everyone to stay the hell home; that's quite obvious.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I read this a few weeks back, but it seems germane to this discussion. He's not a big-name chef, he's a billionaire who owns a major chain, but I think it's transferable. The TL;DR version? Lay everybody off and maybe survive the year, or keep everyone on payroll and be belly-up in a month or two.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/tilman-fertitta-coronavirus-interview/

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning