• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the origin of bourbon?

17 minutes ago, shawarma_prince said:

I figured it always had something to do with Scots-Irish migration to Colonial Virginia but I've heard people questioning this because Jack Daniels learned to distill from a slave even though Jack Daniels is not bourbon imo.

Jack Daniel's is banana flavored paint remover.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

Jack Daniel's is banana flavored paint remover.

Be nice. That's my home state whiskey, there.

That said, I don't generally drink it. Although their Gentleman Jack isn't bad.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I read the history long ago — I love bourbon.

It's a child of Scotch.

• Confused 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unnatural child at best.  The Scotts should reserve their peat liquor to heat their chilly crofts.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

By definition Jack Daniels is bourbon.  It meets all the criteria 

They would prefer not to be called bourbon as “Tennessee whiskey” has far less competition 

I believe that's incorrect. I believe that, legally, the only whiskey that can be called "bourbon" is that distilled in four specific counties in Kentucky. Has something to do with the water, which percolates down through limestone to the aquifer.

Well, scratch that. Apparently, since 1964, bourbon can be made anywhere in the U.S.

Kentuckians, of course, will tell you differently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

I believe that's incorrect. I believe that, legally, the only whiskey that can be called "bourbon" is that distilled in four specific counties in Kentucky. Has something to do with the water, which percolates down through limestone to the aquifer.

Well, scratch that. Apparently, since 1964, bourbon can be made anywhere in the U.S.

Kentuckians, of course, will tell you differently.

51% corn, stored in new charred barrel and made in the US.   That’s it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

51% corn, stored in new charred barrel and made in the US.   That’s it

There are some aging requirements as well.  Also, I believe, once it is charcoal filtered it is no longer bourbon. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

18 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

There are some aging requirements as well.  Also, I believe, once it is charcoal filtered it is no longer bourbon. 

Not true.  Please reread the regulations for bourbon 

51% corn stored in new American oak charred casks is about it .  Edited to add, distilled to no more than 160 proof  and it needs to go in the barrel at 125 proof and come out at least 80 proof or more

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Looks like I was wrong. I could have sworn there was a minimum aging requirement. 

Interesting that Jack Daniel's claims it's not bourbon. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

22 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Looks like I was wrong. I could have sworn there was a minimum aging requirement. 

Interesting that Jack Daniel's claims it's not bourbon. 

Not sure they made that statement. 
But why would they want to compete in a larger playground? George  Dickle is about their only competition in the Tennessee whiskey arena.   No doubt marketing is the answer 

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!