• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noteworthy and Favorite Stouts

magnolia

14 hours ago, shawarma_prince said:

Is there anything better than Founders KBS or CBS? Those are two amazing beers.

Thank you for the shout-out! They're about a ten-minute drive from us. Even with a Spanish company now a 90% owner, we still think of Founders Brewery as local (which it is, although it's no longer officially a "craft brewery"). I have several bottles of KBS from four and five years ago -- it used to be a much more limited release -- stashed away downstairs. I'm looking forward to finding out how they've aged.

Bell's Brewery, as mentioned by Dr. Teeth, is about an hour from here. I've yet to try their Black Note Stout.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I am not a connoisseur of stouts as drinking beers, but I can testify that Green Flash Double Stout makes the best carbonnades a la flamande on the planet.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 years later...

The tale of Trash the Kitchen Imperial Stout.

The main things about Imperial Stout is that it uses a huge amount of malt and a huge amount of hops, so it isn't cheap to brew, but it does keep well. I decided I wanted a bit of molasses flavor so added some blackstrap.  I used malt syrup and set it to boil on the stove then I'm not sure what happened, but managed to boil it over sending sticky gunk all over the stove and down the front of the oven to the floor. I was not popular with the cohabitant.

Anyway I finished the ferment and secondary ferment and bottled it up. Unbenounced to me, the stuff that makes molasses taste the way it does is unfermentable. When I pulled a bottle out of the cupboard in the basement and cracked it open after a few weeks, it was like disgusting watery molasses. 

Three years later, the rest of the batch was rediscovered in the basement and it was exquisite. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

A fellow diner at a restaurant in Tucson in October overheard me order a non-alcoholic beer.  He mentioned to me that there is a Guinness non-alcoholic beer.  I should have asked if it was available in Tucson.  I looked at Safeway and Fry's, but no luck.  

Have any of you seen it where you are?  I started Seco Enero (dry January) and will be in Tucson in a few weeks.  If you've tasted it, what did you think of it?

When, in London I do enjoy a good oat stout, but no chance here. I can get imported canned Guinness on-line and that causes me no pain. If I want draft Guinness and I do, I have to go to Hong Kong which I also do.

Guinness.jpg.80d8e8c22c2b0f5c6c105dc56329f66e.jpg

I drank that pint in a hotel in Scotland in 2018 and when I was finished I innocently remarked to the bartender, the daughter of the hotel owners, that it was a really nice pint glass. She told me to keep it. I carried it back over 6000 miles, cradling it in my hands. Still use it.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

A fellow diner at a restaurant in Tucson in October overheard me order a non-alcoholic beer.  He mentioned to me that there is a Guinness non-alcoholic beer.  I should have asked if it was available in Tucson.  I looked at Safeway and Fry's, but no luck.  

Have any of you seen it where you are?  I started Seco Enero (dry January) and will be in Tucson in a few weeks.  If you've tasted it, what did you think of it?

Try Total Wine. They have it according to Wine Searcher.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/guinness+draft+00+alcohol+free+stout+beer/0/usa-85701-20?Xsort_order=p&Xsavecurrency=Y

• Thanks 1