• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Liu, off topic i.e opposite of this thread, but when we traveled through eastern China 10yrs ago the most surprising menu item we found in restaurants of varying scale were french fries.   They were everywhere and usually better than what we find in the US.  Have they been common for a long time? Part of the fast food invasion?  

I cooked them for some young friends 20 years ago and they were baffled, but delighted. Although , they wanted to put sugar on them until I stopped them. But yes, shortly after that they became relatively common, led by KFC, then McD's.

Western food in China is as strange as Chinese food in the west!

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Liu, off topic i.e opposite of this thread, but when we traveled through eastern China 10yrs ago the most surprising menu item we found in restaurants of varying scale were french fries.   They were everywhere and usually better than what we find in the US.  Have they been common for a long time? Part of the fast food invasion?  

I cooked them for some young friends 20 years ago and they were baffled, but delighted. Althought , they wanted to put sugar on them. But yes, shortly after that they became relatively common, led by KFC, then McD's.

Western food in China is as strange as Chinese food in the west!