• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Guide on Pan Searing Steaks

d_animality

On 5/19/2020 at 3:10 AM, weinoo said:

We shared a 12 oz. steak (NY Strip from D'artagnan) for dinner Saturday night.

This is steak I'm in the middle of cooking to medium rare on a thermometer.  It's being cooked in a classic (i.e. made in the USA) All-Clad Master Chef stainless pan, over moderate heat, after heating the pan to moderate high. First side, well salted, was like 2 minutes, then flipped every 45 seconds or so. Made a pan sauce while the steak rested. Also added whatever juices the steak exuded while resting to finish the pan sauce.

1949870400_Steakcooking05-16.thumb.JPG.c57eb0bd67957a0cea78811714069eab.JPG

It has a nice (no, not perfect) crust. It was quite good, even though I failed to take a picture of it once plated!

Oh wow that looks nice and thank you for the tips, i will give this a try... preheat with medium high and start searing with medium low heat :D

Thank you very much

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use a flat, Lodge cast iron griddle on my gas grill.  I can get it screaming hot.   This is a 50 day, dry aged, prime grade rib eye from Pat LaFrieda's meats.  Presalted and left on a rack from early morning until evening (about 12 hours).   Made sure surface was dry before putting it into the skillet.  Well seasoned pan, very hot (>550 deg F) and got a nice crust.

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 4

• 2 months later...

Hi guys im back and now i have my own Thermapen Mk4 as per recommended by this forum

i have few questions in mind and i cannot find the perfect answer from google

1. When should I start inserting the thermometer into the steak? Is it after 2 mins of searing or etc?

2. I tried experimenting putting the thermometer after 2 mins and 30 secs, the temps are lower than what i want (im targetting 125F for Med Rare but i got 119F), what should i do?

a) i flipped the steak once and sear for another 15 secs... the temps past 125F... i failed

b) keeping the thermometer inside will burn the steak.. 

please advice how can i target that 125f perfectly

3. Last question, if i poke a hole to check temp.. can i use the same hole again to check the temps? Because the last time i tried it, the temps spiked!

really hope to get more advice on using this thermometer

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, d_animality said:

Hi guys im back and now i have my own Thermapen Mk4 as per recommended by this forum

i have few questions in mind and i cannot find the perfect answer from google

1. When should I start inserting the thermometer into the steak? Is it after 2 mins of searing or etc?

2. I tried experimenting putting the thermometer after 2 mins and 30 secs, the temps are lower than what i want (im targetting 125F for Med Rare but i got 119F), what should i do?

a) i flipped the steak once and sear for another 15 secs... the temps past 125F... i failed

b) keeping the thermometer inside will burn the steak.. 

please advice how can i target that 125f perfectly

3. Last question, if i poke a hole to check temp.. can i use the same hole again to check the temps? Because the last time i tried it, the temps spiked!

really hope to get more advice on using this thermometer

Have you read the instructions for how to use the Therapen?   They seem pretty comprehensive.

eGullet member #80.