• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 4/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, btbyrd said:

+1. More oil leads to a more even sear, as the entire surface of the meat is in contact with the heat. This is especially advantageous when searing protein that's been cooked sous vide and won't lay as flat in the pan as raw proteins tend to do.

I didn't take a picture, but a scant tablespoon of grapeseed oil worked fine for my NY Strip last night. Steak was nice and crusty, 2 minutes first side, then turned every 45 seconds or so till done. Admittedly, I started with a raw steak.

weinoo

weinoo

On 4/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, btbyrd said:

+1. More oil leads to a more even sear, as the entire surface of the meat is in contact with the heat. This is especially advantageous when searing protein that's been cooked sous vide and won't lay as flat in the pan as raw proteins tend to do.

I didn't take a picture, but a scant tablespoon of grapeseed oil worked fine for my NY Strip last night. Steak was nice and crusty, 2 minutes first side, then turned every 45 seconds or so till done. Admittedly, I started with a raw steak.