• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

On 5/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, TexasMBA02 said:

@gfron1, that is good to know.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  After studying that book a decent amount, there seem to be some inconsistencies that are a bit perplexing.  

@Pastrypastmidnight & @keychris, I wonder if part of the difference is application.  My sense is as you mature the macarons in the fridge a day or two, the filling tends to soften the shells and meld a bit.  Presumably then, the opposite is happening as moisture is wicked out of the filling it should firm up a bit.  I tried his recipe for pistachio ganache and it is a 1:1 ratio (with some pistachio paste) and it set up pretty nicely once the macarons had matured in the fridge.  

For further R&D, I will probably continue to push the ratio higher because one thing that is true is that as I'm filling them, it is pretty loose and so keeping them aesthetically pleasing is more challenging.  

Thanks again for all the help.

You may be right! One thing I’ve done with soft fillings is freeze the macs upright right after filling, then turn them on their sides for storage in the fridge after they’re frozen. Because, as you said, the shells draw moisture out of the filling, and I find that once I bring them out of the fridge they are nice and sturdy. 

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

@gfron1, that is good to know.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  After studying that book a decent amount, there seem to be some inconsistencies that are a bit perplexing.  

@Pastrypastmidnight & @keychris, I wonder if part of the difference is application.  My sense is as you mature the macarons in the fridge a day or two, the filling tends to soften the shells and meld a bit.  Presumably then, the opposite is happening as moisture is wicked out of the filling it should firm up a bit.  I tried his recipe for pistachio ganache and it is a 1:1 ratio (with some pistachio paste) and it set up pretty nicely once the macarons had matured in the fridge.  

For further R&D, I will probably continue to push the ratio higher because one thing that is true is that as I'm filling them, it is pretty loose and so keeping them aesthetically pleasing is more challenging.  

You may be right. One thing I’ve done with soft fillings is freeze the macs upright right after filling, then turn them on their sides for storage in the fridge after they’re frozen. Because, as you said, the shells draw moisture out of the filling, and I find that once I bring them out of the fridge they are nice and sturdy. 

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

You may be right. One thing I’ve done with soft fillings is freeze the macs upright right after filling, then turn them on their dudes for storage in the fridge after they’re frozen. Because, as you said, the shells draw moisture out of the filling, and I find that once I bring them out of the fridge they are nice and sturdy.