• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soda bread

Fof

First let me say I am NOT a cook.  I just mess around.

Over the years, I have eaten 'bread' in many places around the world.

One that always stuck in my mind was soda bread, because of its flavour.  Not a nice one.

I live on my own, with just an up & over fridge freezer, so limited storage.

I don't use a lot of bread, a large loaf will last me 2-3 weeks, so when I buy some, it takes up valuable freezer space.

Running around the web, I see LOTS of recipies for soda bread.  As the ones I had tried had probably been home made, and to personal taste, I decided to have a trial.

The first time, the recipe called for 100g-500g flour + 1tsp baking soda/100g flour.

HORRIBLE!

Checked another recipe - 500g flour + 1 tsp baking soda, ie <1/4 tsp/100g.

Retried the original but with <1/4tsp, but still the flavour is there, albeit greatly reduced.

How little baking soda can I get away with, without ending up with unleaven bread? 

Can the flavour be eliminated?

TIA

Fof

Edited by Fof (log)
  • Like 1

Darina Allen's traditional Irish Soda Bread is often suggested. Her short video is worth a look.  https://www.google.com/search?q=darina+allen+soda+bread&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS755US755&oq=darina+allen+soda+bread&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.7153j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_waugXtXtD5HZ-gSH-7GQAQ50

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I've been making soda bread for decades, always to the same recipe.

450 grams flour

1tsp bicarb

1tsp salt

400ml buttermilk

mix, shape, score and bake at 80°C for 45 minutes.

As Darina does with the cross scoring. How do you store if keeping past day1? I liked her poking to let the fairies out - do you do that?

Hi all

Thanks for the i/p.

@liuzhou - I presume you mean 180oC .  Whoops.

One thing in Darina's video;  she uses 1/2tsp to 1lb flour.  That means <=1/8tsp/100g.

I think I need to try that next.

Fof

lindag

Ohhh!!  No!

That's not bread.  How could you ever eat a cheese, ham, pickle, salad sandwich?

100g loaf is perfect for me, for dunking into stews, curries and, of course, for sandwiches.

Thanks.