• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering a drink up, straight up, straight and shots - what are they exactly

perfection

up and straight up are the same and mean a drink served in a stemmed glass without ice. Straight in a legal sense refers to American whisky that's been aged at least 2 years and is at least 51% of its base grain (corn for bourbon, rye for rye, etc), aged in new, charred american oak barrels, and I forget what else. Straight for most people I'd say is synonymous with "neat" - poured right out of the bottle, no ice, nothing. A shot is a shot...a short pour of anything neat or mixed to be drunk in one gulp. 

May I highly recommend BarSmarts. It's free right now and is a very good starting point

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

One detail to add to Hassouni's excellent explanations: up / straight up drinks are usually stirred or shaken with ice, then strained into the glass. 

Drinks on the rocks may either be strained off of ice or "built" in the drinking glass.

Notes from the underbelly