• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
perfection

Ordering a drink up, straight up, straight and shots - what are they exactly

May I get help deconstructing these words and understanding exactly what they mean when a gest orders drinks using these words?

up and straight up are the same and mean a drink served in a stemmed glass without ice. Straight in a legal sense refers to American whisky that's been aged at least 2 years and is at least 51% of its base grain (corn for bourbon, rye for rye, etc), aged in new, charred american oak barrels, and I forget what else. Straight for most people I'd say is synonymous with "neat" - poured right out of the bottle, no ice, nothing. A shot is a shot...a short pour of anything neat or mixed to be drunk in one gulp. 

May I highly recommend BarSmarts. It's free right now and is a very good starting point

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this