• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

are boxing and rolling a cocktail identical terms?

perfection

I've been reading up on these two terms and watching videos associated with these terms and am slightly confused whether these terms are identical

what I have gathered is

BOXING :  built in glass rolled back and then forth (back to the glass) ONCE  (with ice - yes)

ROLLING: built in the mix can and rolled back and forth SEVERAL TIMES, then poured into glass  (with ice - yes)

How do you guys use the terms, please let me know

This is merely out of curiosity and of theoretical importance (in case I commence my mixology classes in the future)!

Thanks and Cheers

I'm a professional in the industry and before that a longtime cocktail aficionado and I've never once heard the term boxing. The definition is rolling is correct, though.

There is a difference between rolling and throwing though - in throwing the cocktail is poured from the small to the large tin from a height several times, providing a lot of aeration and looking very dramatic