• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I demolded ch. pralines and want repeat. What to do in between?

Vojta

1. I successfully demold finished chocolate pralines.
  2. ???
  3. I pour chocolate into cavities to form shells for my next pralines.

Question is simple: what is step 2.? Polish with cottom/ and alcohol/ wash in hot water/ use dishsoap/ do nothing/ somethig else? Does it depend if it was chocolate bar or praline/ if I used coloured CB or not? What if demolding was not that easy or successfull?

I always washed in hot water with soft sponge and dish liquid. Dried, polished with cottom and used again. But I read I should clean my molds 1 or 2 times per year only! I thought residual fat will make demolding more difficult and inhibit shine.

Where is the truth please? Whats correct?

2 hours ago, Vojta said:

what is step 2.? Polish with cottom/ and alcohol/ wash in hot water/ use dishsoap/ do nothing

chef's choice!

2 hours ago, Vojta said:

Does it depend if it was chocolate bar or praline

no

2 hours ago, Vojta said:

if I used coloured CB or not?

no, not if it came out cleanly

2 hours ago, Vojta said:

What if demolding was not that easy or successfull?

If chocolate or color has stuck to the mold, it may be easier at some point to just wash it. 

2 hours ago, Vojta said:

I thought residual fat will make demolding more difficult and inhibit shine.

You don't want residual fat, you want a clean mold. Polishing with cotton will remove any fat, but if your chocolate came out cleanly there should not be much or any residual fat to begin with.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Simple suggestion:  Do an eGullet search for "cleaning molds."  You will get all the possibilities with people supporting every one of them--from doing nothing between uses to cleaning them with alcohol.

read through some of them but got lost a bit. Thats why I asked

I’m afraid there is no simple answer.  There are lots of personal preferences and no one answer.  I’m new as well and read through many posts about polishing/not polishing. It might help to make a list of the different recommendations and then give the ones you’re  most interested in a try and see what happens. 

• Like 2