• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to get even color layers without an airbrush?

@baking.in

Hi everyone!

I am new in the forum. I would like to ask you if you have any tool or trick to get even colour layers without using an airbrush. I have tried brushes and sponges but it is quite hard to get something even. I know the answer would be: buy an airbrush and a compressor, but at the time present I cannot get one. If you use any specific brush that makes more even colour layers I would appreciate if you post the picture of it (or from any other tool).

Thanks in advance!:)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure others will chime in, but before I had my airbrush, I pretty much applied multiple layers of the same color with a gloves finger, but it can be easy for the cocoa butter to get a little too thick. Quite frankly I eventually just accepted that I wasn't going to be able to replicate the even coverage you get from an airbrush. For a short time I did use a mouth atomizer, it gave a cool finish, like a fine spatter, but definitely not even coverage like from an airbrush, and I didn't like that you have to blow on a mouth piece, just didn't feel sanitary. 

Haha I came to ask exactly the same thing! Notwithstanding I use dark chocolate and black CB and 2 layers, I can still see marks on my praline. 3 layers dont fix it neither. I dont want more layers, bcs the CB is getting as thick as the choco shell... But I have to say in a darker room it is not noticable - thats for simmilar colors. White praline with dark choco shell is just impossible for me.

So is it possible?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 8:01 AM, minas6907 said:

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure others will chime in, but before I had my airbrush, I pretty much applied multiple layers of the same color with a gloves finger, but it can be easy for the cocoa butter to get a little too thick. Quite frankly I eventually just accepted that I wasn't going to be able to replicate the even coverage you get from an airbrush. For a short time I did use a mouth atomizer, it gave a cool finish, like a fine spatter, but definitely not even coverage like from an airbrush, and I didn't like that you have to blow on a mouth piece, just didn't feel sanitary. 

Yes... Maybe I have to accept that I cannot do it without an airbrush:$ I will keep practicing with brushes and so on🥺😉 thanks:)

On 4/18/2020 at 12:42 PM, Vojta said:

Haha I came to ask exactly the same thing! Notwithstanding I use dark chocolate and black CB and 2 layers, I can still see marks on my praline. 3 layers dont fix it neither. I dont want more layers, bcs the CB is getting as thick as the choco shell... But I have to say in a darker room it is not noticable - thats for simmilar colors. White praline with dark choco shell is just impossible for me.

So is it possible?

It is very hard for me too. I have gone with the option of making ALL the shells dark chocolate. You get a thin shell and then you fill it with whatever you want.