• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Misoyaki Buri

Kataoka

Found a nice piece of buri at my local fish market in Huntsville, AL. So I had some sashimi and marinaded the rest in shio miso, mirin, sake, and sugar. Marinaded for 3 days then grilled under my broiler. It was very tasty, but dry. Did I over cook it, marinaded too long, or what?

Any ideas?

The buri toro was nice and fatty; just the way I like it. But I ate that sashimi within the 1st 10 minutes of getting it home.

Also (once I get the misoyaki dryness figured out) can I cook saba (Frozen) with miso?

Thank you in advance.

@Kataoka "Buri" is hamachi? Saba (mackerel) is a separate piece of fish that you want to cook?

The 3-day marinade was maybe too long. All that salt (shio miso) maybe drew out too much moisture from your fish.

Fish is sometimes sold, frozen, with a miso marinade (thick) already on it. So, I'm assuming it's OK to store it like that. I would defrost it before cooking.

Personally, I would eat the hamachi raw, all of it.

Edited to add: Actually, maybe the 3-day marinade should have been OK. Try Googling "misoyaki butterfish". The recipes call for a long marinade. Not sure whether buri and butterfish are exactly comparable, though. Hamachi seems more delicate.

Edited by MokaPot
Wanted to add something. (log)

MokaPot-

You might have hit on something in regards to butterfish. (black cod). It is super fatty. Hard to get as it has a super short shelf life. I talked to my mom about the dry, miso-buri. She's never had it before but she use to make miso-salmon. She would only marinate it for 4 to 6 hours. Told me I marinated it too long. I'm gonna try buri again but follow my mom's method.

Funny, when I was a kid, I hated miso-salmon. Could be that it was always Coho. Not my favorite salmon.

Thank  you for your suggestion.

• Like 1