• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can we still use this microwave?

Kim Shook

Mr. Kim says yes, I am concerned.  We aren't willing to get a repair person out here right now, but should we just not use it?  I noticed this the last time I went to use the microwave:

IMG_1832.jpg.4c5fd84a85be9e0b4d3450b1266c897b.jpg

it is on the little disc thing on the inside top of the microwave:

IMG_1831.jpg.53748588bb2c0975a7bc193196a2738b.jpg

I know.  It's filthy.  Please ignore that.  The disc seems to have a screw in it so perhaps that is something simple to replace?  But HOW did it happen?  Does anyone know?  

I would say you can use that microwave oven. I would not leave the oven plugged in and unattended, though. My microwave broke at the beginning of the pandemic. Replaced it with something else immediately, not very expensive.

Is that microwave over your stovetop? That might be more involved to replace.

I'm not an electrician or an electrical engineer.

12 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I would say you can use that microwave oven. I would not leave the oven plugged in and unattended, though. My microwave broke at the beginning of the pandemic. Replaced it with something else immediately, not very expensive.

Is that microwave over your stovetop? That might be more involved to replace.

I'm not an electrician or an electrical engineer.

It is over our stovetop, so hard wired in, I believe - can't unplug.  

@Kim Shook, I have an over-stove microwave, too. (That's the one that broke. My new one is on the counter. When I can get the over-stove one replaced, I'll move the "new" one off the counter.)

Anyway, I don't mean to doubt you, but are you sure there's no separate plug for your microwave? My over-stove microwave has a separate plug / outlet hidden in the cabinet that sits right above the microwave (hole drilled through bottom of cabinet). Also, if you look at your fuse / switch "box," you might get an idea if there's a separate outlet.

I recently found out that a microwave is considered a major appliance. (Had to buy an extension cord for it.) Who knew.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook, I have an over-stove microwave, too. (That's the one that broke. My new one is on the counter. When I can get the over-stove one replaced, I'll move the "new" one off the counter.)

Anyway, I don't mean to doubt you, but are you sure there's no separate plug for your microwave? My over-stove microwave has a separate plug / outlet hidden in the cabinet that sits right above the microwave (hole drilled through bottom of cabinet). Also, if you look at your fuse / switch "box," you might get an idea if there's a separate outlet.

I recently found out that a microwave is considered a major appliance. (Had to buy an extension cord for it.) Who knew.

Good luck.

Thanks.  I'll get the tall guy to check when he gets home.  

My analysis:

Some time before this happened, there was a small quantity of fatty material that got splattered and stuck at that spot. 

Afterwards, someone used the MV to cook. Since oil smoking  point is very high (can be 572F), the temperature reached the plastic's melting point. At the same time part of the oil continue to heat up until it carbonized. Since carbon is a good electric conductor, a small arc started a small fire.

you can use silicone glue to patch that hole, or have that round thing replaced.

dcarch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what's the brand, model, and part # of microwave?  Can look up parts and repair manuals, it may be easy and cheap to replace :), especially if it's the magnetron cover, you just unscrew and replace.  If it is the magnetron cover, you can still use the microwave, but meantime, cover your food with a paper towel or something to keep splatter from getting there.  If it's not the cover, and a cover for something else, then further investigation is warranted before use.  Qualifications: I have broken many appliances trying to DIY fix them, and successfully repaired a few, too.  Batting average improving!

It may be possible that, if this is the magnetron cover, it arced from the inside, too, which would mean that part has to be replaced, or the whole microwave.  Hard to tell without seeing/knowing more.

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't use it.  One of my microwaves had a small burnt spot over the magnetron. The next time I used it, it arced to the center of the turntable, broke the glass and fused the turntable drive. I only had a burrito on a paper plate in it, and it was off to one side.

It smelled terrible.

Since microwaves are fairly inexpensive, I would replace it, rather than take the chance on it exploding and causing a fire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett