• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smithfield Closes Sioux Falls Plant Due To Covid 19

palo

Temperature testing is worthless, due to asymptomatic transmission.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/case-study-shows-asymptomatic-transmission-of-covid19-in-china

Food workers- from processing plants to grocery stores, should have equal access to the exact same PPE and fast testing equipment that health care workers should be getting.  And none of this DIY PPE garbage either. It's important that health care workers stay healthy, but, if the food distribution system breaks down, we're screwed.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

My son-in-law is a superintendent with PECO, a chicken processor. Their line workers have always worked in coveralls and gloves. With the onset of the virus, they added masks.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, kayb said:

My son-in-law is a superintendent with PECO, a chicken processor. Their line workers have always worked in coveralls and gloves. With the onset of the virus, they added masks.

I'm encouraged to hear that at least one processor knows what they're doing.  Let me guess, they're not seeing a lot of Covid 19 cases at the the plant, correct?

11 hours ago, scott123 said:

I'm encouraged to hear that at least one processor knows what they're doing.  Let me guess, they're not seeing a lot of Covid 19 cases at the the plant, correct?

Bingo.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Smithfield is known for being a sh*t employer and neighbor in VA.  I'm sure they are no better in SD.  I'm sorry for the employees and I'm sorry for what this might mean about trends in factory food production and availability.  Like it or not, that is exactly what feeds most of Northern America.  

• Sad 3