• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Unique Chocolate - Money no object

gfron1

I've got a client who has an open purse. We want to source 5 amazing, unique (single origin or micro-batched or ?) chocolates for me to ultimately work into bonbons. 

I haven't kept up, so my list is Domori, Cluizel, Pralus, Patric and Askinosie, but those names led my list 5-8 years ago. With all the micro-batching going on I'm sure there a gazillion more higher on the list. Who are you favorites? And just to give you a sense of the possibilities, I suggested Valhrona, to which they responded Dandelion. So to me that means anything is fair game. This will small batch and all about the flavor pairings, so commercial blends is not what we're looking for.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

What’s the purpose of the chocolate? Is this for simple tastings, or for making ganache, or for making filled chocolates? I think you’ll find that with a lot of the small chocolate makers, they do not have enough science and quality control to get you good covertures with the right viscosity for production if that is the case. If you’re just looking for a chocolate for tasting, then you were on the right track with many of the recommendations I’ve already seen here.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

52 minutes ago, Marmalade said:

What’s the purpose of the chocolate? Is this for simple tastings, or for making ganache, or for making filled chocolates? I think you’ll find that with a lot of the small chocolate makers, they do not have enough science and quality control to get you good covertures with the right viscosity for production if that is the case. If you’re just looking for a chocolate for tasting, then you were on the right track with many of the recommendations I’ve already seen here.

Ah. Good question. This is for the base of the ganache. I'll use something much less distinguishable for the shelling. And this will be very small batch. I likely won't even make 50 boxes (if I have my way). They want to charge very high end premium.

18 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

They want to charge very high end premium.

Which I assume means small batch artisan still has to be big name artisan enough that people who do their research can find good information about them. Nobody wants to show off their expensive acquisition and say "it's a Farbman" and their audience say "Who?" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It occurs to me with additional thought that my previous comment is completely irrelevant because the names of the chocolate producers will be secondary to being able to say "it's a Connoley" when showing off their acquisition... and nobody's gonna say "Who?" to that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So, I have the Pralus Pyramid -  which is a compilation of 8 or 10 different single origin chocolates. They are identical in formula, but use a different single origin cacao for each bar.  And, if money is of no concern...well, that's good.    The squares are pretty small- - just a couple ounces each. But, I think you can get larger sizes. There are some drastically different flavor profiles in there -  so you might want to get the pyramid, taste, then decide which ones would work best for your client.

Having said that, Felchlin is one of my absolute favorite brands.  And, AUI has a very nice selection. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: