Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying online fish/frozen fish, shellfish


Recommended Posts

For another 2020-economy method to consider-  If you know it is there, and you just can't get there yourself, you could try a go-fer service like Taskrabbit... send them on a shopping trip to whereever has the shad and task them to buy some and come to where you are... 

 

Since you're in NJ, there's that fishmonger who delivers all over the state you might want to look into... name is something like Local 130 or such... somebody on here has written about it... found it... link to them is https://www.local130seafood.com/collections/all-products.  Perhaps call them and see if they can get you your shad fix. 

 

I noticed that the shad from Samuels this year was much earlier than I would expect, though labelled as from South Carolina, so that was not entriely surprising... I got the year's shad roe dinner in the 3rd week of March, and have not noticed them offering shad or roes much since... I'm disappointed that I didn't get any of the fillets... but they insisted on selling them in 5# increments and while I enjoy the stuff, 5 pounds of it is excessive.  

  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weinoo said:

 

So Samuels delivers to retail customers, or did you pick up?

They deliver for free to people who 1) join their club and 2) pay the annual fee and 3) place orders of $100 or higher. 

 

Dunno if they'll deliver to a not-club-joiner. 

  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cdh said:

They deliver for free to people who 1) join their club and 2) pay the annual fee and 3) place orders of $100 or higher. 

 

Dunno if they'll deliver to a not-club-joiner. 

 

Sounds reasonable.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cdh said:

For another 2020-economy method to consider-  If you know it is there, and you just can't get there yourself, you could try a go-fer service like Taskrabbit... send them on a shopping trip to whereever has the shad and task them to buy some and come to where you are... 

 

Since you're in NJ, there's that fishmonger who delivers all over the state you might want to look into... name is something like Local 130 or such... somebody on here has written about it... found it... link to them is https://www.local130seafood.com/collections/all-products.  Perhaps call them and see if they can get you your shad fix. 

 

I noticed that the shad from Samuels this year was much earlier than I would expect, though labelled as from South Carolina, so that was not entriely surprising... I got the year's shad roe dinner in the 3rd week of March, and have not noticed them offering shad or roes much since... I'm disappointed that I didn't get any of the fillets... but they insisted on selling them in 5# increments and while I enjoy the stuff, 5 pounds of it is excessive.  

 

Thanks.  Local 130 is not all that far from here and apparently they deliver.  No mention of shad on their site that I could find.  Might be worth a phone call.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Faced with few options I decided to give Citarella another try.  They have flat rate $25 shipping to my address.  I ordered shad and little neck clams.  Lord being willing I shall eat well.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Faced with few options I decided to give Citarella another try.  They have flat rate $25 shipping to my address.  I ordered shad and little neck clams.  Lord being willing I shall eat well.

 

 

 

Are you getting a whole fish? I wonder what the chances are of getting some shad roe (with the shad).

 

Shad is supposed to be bony. Hopefully, not too hard to remove the bones.

 

Never tried shad and hope you report back on the shad.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MokaPot said:

 

Are you getting a whole fish? I wonder what the chances are of getting some shad roe (with the shad).

 

Shad is supposed to be bony. Hopefully, not too hard to remove the bones.

 

Never tried shad and hope you report back on the shad.

 

 

These are boneless fillets.  You should give shad a try before the season ends.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

These are boneless fillets.  You should give shad a try before the season ends.

 

Did you already get your shad? I'm so envious!

 

@MokaPot yes it is boney; a total pain. That's why you want it boned by the fishmonger.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Did you already get your shad? I'm so envious!

 

@MokaPot yes it is boney; a total pain. That's why you want it boned by the fishmonger.

 

Scheduled shad delivery date is the 16th.  We'll see if this time, unlike last year, Citarella actually delivers.

 

@Katie Meadow I'm sure you know Citarella ships shad next day over almost all the country.  For a price.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Did you already get your shad? I'm so envious!

 

@MokaPot yes it is boney; a total pain. That's why you want it boned by the fishmonger.

 

And a fishmonger who knows what he or she is doing. 

  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Striped bass season (local, NY at least) opened yesterday. I was hoping to go fishing with a friend out on Long Island (and he's hoping for bluefish to be running as well), but I'm gonna wait for the finger to heal.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Citarella shad (and littlenecks) in blast chiller.  They arrived well packed with ice.

 

 

Been many years since I had shad.  I think it was smoked and so good.  How are you making it?   Makes me think.....

My friend Chad asked if I ate shad.

I said no and it made him sad.

I called my monger and they had.  

Chad was so glad I would get to eat shad.  

Days later he asked if it was bony.

I said a tad.

Still, it was totally rad.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

That wasn't chicken

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

 

 

My friend Chad asked if I ate shad.

I said no and it made him sad.

I called my monger and they had.  

Chad was so glad I would get to eat shad.  

Days later he asked if it was bony.

I said a tad.

Still, it was totally rad.

Insert groan button here...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KennethT said:

Insert groan button here...

Do we have one? (I forgot fine poetry doesn't appeal to everyone : )

  • Haha 2

That wasn't chicken

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

This week's The Economist features an editorial, "A shad state of affairs, scales of justice".

 

Life is short and Citarella is still offering shad this season.  I succumbed.  Weak woman that I am.  Two dozen more littlenecks on the way as well.  (Damn you, damn you flat rate shipping.)  A friend who has been asking around fish markets in Princeton told me local stores are not selling shad this year.

 

My doctor* tells me to eat fish and clams.  No doubt she gets a kickback.

 

 

*whose office is in Lambertville where they have a commercial shad fishery.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

*whose office is in Lambertville where they have a commercial shad fishery.

 

 

Do they?  I knew they had a shad festival every year... but do they still pull the fish from the Delaware?  Is that river clean enough up there? A century of industry upstream makes me wonder. 

 

Enjoy the shad! Did you get any roes? 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cdh said:

Do they?  I knew they had a shad festival every year... but do they still pull the fish from the Delaware?  Is that river clean enough up there? A century of industry upstream makes me wonder. 

 

Enjoy the shad! Did you get any roes? 

 

I'm not much into roe.

 

The Delaware is pretty clean up here.  I am not aware of much industrial history north of Lambertville.  At the festival a few years ago I watched the commercial fisherpeople demonstrating catching shad in their large nets.

 

Citarella confirmed my order.  Let's see if they really deliver.  The shad is supposed to arrive on the 18th.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...