• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fish/frozen fish, shellfish online

Franci

On 7/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, KennethT said:

Now I feel like I should've held out longer when considering joining!

Same here, I think once you join that's the end of bonus items - try a second (or third) email 😈

p

• Haha 1

I placed my order with Wild Fork on Thursday afternoon, and my box arrived on Friday - shipped ground from Allentown, PA. The box was a large styrofoam cooler with dry ice which fit exactly into a brown corrugated cardboard box.  There was still plenty of dry ice even at like 7PM Friday evening.  So far, everything looks great but they left out one item.  I emailed them about it (at 7:30PM on Friday), and they emailed me back a few hours later saying that they refunded the cost of the item as well as my shipping cost.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

they refunded the cost of the item as well as my shipping cost.

That sounds fair especially with the free shipping 😇

p

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:52 AM, KennethT said:

I placed my order with Wild Fork on Thursday afternoon, and my box arrived on Friday - shipped ground from Allentown, PA. The box was a large styrofoam cooler with dry ice which fit exactly into a brown corrugated cardboard box.  There was still plenty of dry ice even at like 7PM Friday evening.  So far, everything looks great but they left out one item.  I emailed them about it (at 7:30PM on Friday), and they emailed me back a few hours later saying that they refunded the cost of the item as well as my shipping cost.

Just a slight edit - while their email to me said they'd refund the missing item and the ground shipping, the refund only had the missing item - no shipping... oh well.  I'd still use them again.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

They definitely have more - I'll be getting 2 bags in my next box which ships in the next day or two.

I couldn't find them on the web site, but I'm chatting with a rep and have just added the prawns to my order. Thanks, Kenneth!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks everybody for your comments

looks to me , this Fall , on the later side

Im going to try this.

why wait ?

to hot and too wet to humid here

for such delicacies 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently received a second box from Wild Fork... more chicken thighs (we go through a lot of thighs), a rack of pork spare ribs for $2 a pound or something ridiculously cheap like that (I'm using them to make stock) along with a couple of pork hocks, also for the stock. 

I also ordered 1.5 pounds of grouper, of which we had some last night.  It was devoured faster than we could take a photo - I made a Thai pad cha grouper stir fry.  This may be my new favorite fish for this type of application, and the quality was fantastic.

On the fish note, I have a glut of wild Alaskan salmon - both sockeye and coho.  To be honest, I really don't know what to do with them.  I'm used to dealing with the fatty, almost unctuous farmed Alaskan salmon.  But the first portions I made of the sockeye were underwhelming.   They were dry. Really dry.  And I don't think I overcooked them - definitely not enough for them to be as dry as they were.  Any recommendations of what to do with them so that we'll actually enjoy eating them?

Newest offer from "Wild Alaskan Company":

Our wild-caught Snow Crab comes pre-cooked and pre-scored for your ease and convenience.

Join today and receive a FREE 24-oz. pack of Snow Crab in your first delivery. 

In addition to our delicious snow crab legs, we offer a range of sustainably sourced seafood, from wild-caught salmon to scallops and whitefish.

Promo code:

FREECRAB

Honestly I don't work for the company😜

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:55 PM, KennethT said:

On the fish note, I have a glut of wild Alaskan salmon - both sockeye and coho.  To be honest, I really don't know what to do with them.  I'm used to dealing with the fatty, almost unctuous farmed Alaskan salmon.  But the first portions I made of the sockeye were underwhelming.   They were dry. Really dry.  And I don't think I overcooked them - definitely not enough for them to be as dry as they were.  Any recommendations of what to do with them so that we'll actually enjoy eating them?

This morning I experimented a little more with two pieces of sockeye from Wild Alaska.

IMG_4697.thumb.JPG.039091d85d1f27420f46ada28f9f3df3.JPG

Came out as moist as I've ever been able to do in the CSO - 200℉, no steam.  For about 12 minutes. It's delicious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You know, when I think of all the garbage and germs and street meats and dirty water dogs etc. etc. I’ve eaten over the years, if I kill my self via botulism via not defrosting wild Alaskan salmon properly, I’m gonna be pissed off.

Well I now know more about frozen, vacuum-packed fish and botulism than I ever thought I wanted to know thanks to you! 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Me again - this is like a pyramid scam - the more of you that sign up, the more fish I get 😜

We want more families to enjoy our healthy, sustainably sourced seafood.

That's why we are offering $75 off if you join today! 

But you'll need to hurry because this offer will expire tomorrow.

Promo code:

WELCOME75

GET THIS DEAL

p

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Just received my Fall box of salmon. This must be my 7th?. I order twice a year---Fall Sept-October. Then again in Feb-March. Double insulated box with big bag of dry ice. Rock solid as always. They deep freeze sushi grade. We like salmon. Direct and no second party sellers. No monthly join. (our local grass-fed farm share is monthly but easily postponed....it showed up yesterday, 🙄). Mr.H missed the e-mail. He likes the sausage being lean and not salty so may have let it slip through----sneaky. (I should take over that account)

28 cryovaced packages of salmon straight to our freezer. 

Anywho, I can vouch for the quality and company. I can make a mid-week meal easily as it thaws quickly. Even partially frozen I can get crispy skin with rare interior. It is PrideOfBristolBay. 

----I sent boxes to family last year. 

We do seafood heavy holiday-NewYears. Last year I ordered from the FultonFishMarket and gagged and nearly puked when the box arrived. Could not even open it outside. Felt so bad for the delivery fella. The ammonia scent was horrid. Rotting bag of squid for a seafood salad was not sealed and leaking juices all over the other contents. No ice packs. 

IMG_1245.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Wild Fork continues to treat us well. Arrives frozen like a rock and thaws nicely. Fair prices

Agreed. I paid the $50 and now get free shipping. After just about a month or a little more, it has only 1 more shipment to have paid for itself. Prices and quality are great - my only complaint is that some things will suddenly be out of stock and they don't tell you when it'll be back...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

Agreed. I paid the $50 and now get free shipping. After just about a month or a little more, it has only 1 more shipment to have paid for itself. Prices and quality are great - my only complaint is that some things will suddenly be out of stock and they don't tell you when it'll be back...

Yes, wild-caught fish can be stubbornly unaccountable... :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

WildFork may solve my holiday issues. Just went down the rabbit-hole planning the usual NewYears menu. Pre-covid we hosted a seafood feast every year. 10-20 guests. Menu changes and the date changes. This year NewYearsEve falls on a Friday so planning NewYears day gathering. Us + 6. Vaccinated. 

I like frozen. Dry ice packed. I do like single origin providers like my salmon. Boat to flash-frozen then directly to me. BristolBay price includes shipping. The dry ice is still mostly present today in the box---I did play with some in the sink last night. Confident if a delay happened it would still be frozen solid. 

Interesting WildFork has retail stores. The packaging is small 5-8 ounces. I prefer cyrovacked as it can go into SousVide as long as the labels are easily removed. (local meat Waldon share labels are off in a quick zip). 

A responsive support team is important when an issue happens. Mistakes happen being human. But it is a pain when it happens and a pain when issues are ignored, 'crickets'. 

I like the WildFork reviews here and the quick 'issues resolved'. I have a short list of companies that do just that. 

Dealing with FultonFish was a foul stinky nightmare. 

Unfortunately they do not have all I need. That was my headache last year---just the two of us. BC, (before-covid), I would swing by AstoriaSeafood, a friend would bring a case of oysters to shuck...

Nice to know the inventory changes with WildFork, but that's ok. It is a 8-10 course 6-8 hour party. I'm flexible with what is available. (a few of those are best prepped ahead, night before, so not a stressful cooking insanity).

50$ a year shipping?. Includes shipping gifts? Wow. Did I read that correctly? Last year I sent boxes of salmon and much appreciated. This might be better as I can customize per family member. 

This I missed the first few times I logged on...lower right corner and tiny. I missed pages of product like duck and turkeys and....quail, whole red heritage chicken...

1930350360_WILDFORKPAGES.png.363081af22ba6007a8834cae695f46e2.png

On 9/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, gfweb said:

Wild Fork continues to treat us well. Arrives frozen like a rock and thaws nicely. Fair prices

Out and about yesterday and spotted Wild Fork “Opening Soon” and “Hiring Now” signs at a local strip mall. Curious to see what their retail store will be like. 
From their online job posting, it seems I could get unlimited free shipping as an  employee perk. Hmmm…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Out and about yesterday and spotted Wild Fork “Opening Soon” and “Hiring Now” signs at a local strip mall. Curious to see what their retail store will be like. 
From their online job posting, it seems I could get unlimited free shipping as an  employee perk. Hmmm…

But who needs shipping if you can just bring it home?

Although shipping guarantees it arrives rock solid frozen. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This from the owner re my order. I think I'm in love.

Ah that's great to hear, I love it when the internet does something good. Both times it ever happened. 😉

Your order is all boxed up and ready to ship. It shipped most reasonably in a Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A, which was less than a Medium Flat Rate Box (the glass jar won't fit in a Small Flat Rate Box), and less than a recycled Amazon box I tried.

You'll notice a lot of empty space in the box, that's the nature of flat rate boxes. You could fill that box with tins and the price wouldn't change. Just something to consider for your next order, after you get a sense of the space of the box. What a lot of people do to take advantage of the fact that I don't charge at check out is order a few new tins and then tell me to "fill the box" with their favorite or a mix of favorites, which I'm happy to do.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

This from the owner re my order. I think I'm in love.

Ah that's great to hear, I love it when the internet does something good. Both times it ever happened. 😉

Your order is all boxed up and ready to ship. It shipped most reasonably in a Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A, which was less than a Medium Flat Rate Box (the glass jar won't fit in a Small Flat Rate Box), and less than a recycled Amazon box I tried.

You'll notice a lot of empty space in the box, that's the nature of flat rate boxes. You could fill that box with tins and the price wouldn't change. Just something to consider for your next order, after you get a sense of the space of the box. What a lot of people do to take advantage of the fact that I don't charge at check out is order a few new tins and then tell me to "fill the box" with their favorite or a mix of favorites, which I'm happy to do.

Wow.  Sounds like a really great place.

• Like 1

RTG is legit. They've got the largest selection of tinned fish anywhere, and Dan provides fantastic customer service. He always lets you know about the shipping situation -- what box they're using and why -- so you'll know that they're not trying to make money by overcharging on postage. Dan is also very active over on the tinned fish area of Reddit. Each tin comes wrapped in paper, so it's kind of like Christmas when your order shows up. Their prices are pretty good, but the selection is the real draw; if you've ever wanted to try a $50 Michelin starred can of fish, RTG has you covered.

I also like buying from TinCanFish.com -- especially the spicy mackerel from Minerva (which I eat a couple times a week). My other go-to tins of non-tuna are the Matiz spicy sardines (which I get on sale at Fresh Market for $3/can) and the spicy Nuri sardines (which I get from World Market whenever they have a sale). Amazon, horror of horrors, also has a pretty good selection, though many are through third-party vendors like Caputo's Market.

If you're an enthusiast of canned fish but don't know what to try next, I highly suggest checking out the Canned Fish Files with Matthew Carlson over on YouTube. Just a nice fellow eating fish with chopsticks and letting you know what they're like. He even has a RTG unboxing video. Anyway, here's a random recent video of his comparing standard Ortiz tuna (my favorite) with their ventresca.

RTG is the source of Matt's "Another Fish Conquered!" poster. I have one on my fridge. And for a more surreal and more disgusting take on Ortiz, there's always Slow Jabroni. 

Fishfluencers are real, y'all.

• Like 3