• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fish/frozen fish, shellfish online

Franci

It is painfully impossible to describe my experience with Fulton. I thought I posted here before. 

They may have lost my order. A rare snafu. in the system. Then blamed a wrong e-mail address. (I use finger recognition on my laptop). 

I blamed myself being dyslexic. But I got a 'welcome to the Fulton family' e-mail immediately. But no order# or tracking. I e-mailed but no response...then a delivery date for the 29th dec. It came on the 23rd without any heads up or 'delivered'. Alarm delivery pup barked at around 8pm. We could have been out of town visiting family. 

I ordered various 1/2 and one pound selections for the holidays.

A squid small packet via the website photo i should have received a cryo-vac'd 8oz small squid rings with tentacles for a mixed Mediterranean seafood salad app.

They sent a giant 5+ pound bag of giant squid rings, not tentacles, and not sealed so it leaked all over everything and soiled the bottom of the box. 

So nasty it reeked of ammonia. DH sick to his stomach from the smell could not bring it inside. (poor delivery person)😬

The ice pack was still frozen so we hosed off the crab and shucked oyster containers, etc. Clearly the squid was old before sent. It was a big thick bag that easily could have been tied to not leak. Disgusting. 

Surprised they get such high-on-the-list recommended places to order from on-line. 

Never again. 

I must have looked 20 times on their website....what did 'I' do wrong? 😂...I blame myself for everything. 

On the other hand, Misfits just sent an over-the-top apology letter for a one day delay due to covid employee issues. And possible delivery trucking for the same reason. And, 'let us know if anything is suffering from fresh' and we will promptly refund. The kettle chips and Tates cookies will be fine. 😜

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, SLB said:

Ugh.  That is quite a narrative.  Old squid?????

Pierless's website isn't functioning for me, but I may have to work harder at it.  Good grief.  

I think Pierless was purchased by Baldor?

I'm pretty happy with great alaska and just buying what fish I want, when I want fish. Or getting good wild gulf shrimp from Fresh Direct. Or going to the farmer's market and dealing with local fisher people.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I understand.  Although the local fisherperson at the Thursday Columbia farmer's market -- the one near me and the one I organize a teaching schedule around --  is a serious jerk.  So I stopped buying from him before the pandemic. 

On that -- right now, I am not really going into stores, which eliminates one of my favorite options:  Agata & Valentina.  

But I appreciate knowing what on earth the problem is with the Pierless website.  

I'll deal.  It's gonna be fine.  It just was a bad morning.  And there are fifty-leven pieces of salmon I wasn't looking for taking up a whole lot of space in my freezer.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SLB said:

"Snafu! We'll cancel your subscription for six weeks".

I'm trying to get the bass out of my voice, but am preparing to ask them to send me what I actually ordered.  In addition to these 24 pieces of salmon that are now crowding the meat in my freezer.  

I'd point out that SNAFU stands for situation normal all fucked-up.

If they said its situation normal....

Try Wild Fork.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, SLB said:

Well.  My first subscription order arrived today.  It included two 6-oz portions of striped bass; a pound of scallops; and TWENTY-FOUR 6-oz portions of frozen salmon.  A mixed up order which they called a "snafu".

You know, it'd be an expensive donation, but I bet a food pantry with refrigeration would cheerfully take them. Salmon's going to be rare to get but easy to cook. And food pantries are always hurting after the holiday rush.

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

21 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think Pierless was purchased by Baldor?

Probably as the website is the same format as Baldor?. Baldor sells Pierless on their main site as well as other suppliers of seafood. I was not happy with the wild caught Carolina shrimp from Pierless through Baldor. This was 2020 and may have purchased 3 pounds during that time. I first blamed myself but even trying to peel before cooking the shell was fused to the flesh. Then tried a NewOrleans shell-on bbq style. Again fused. A pound gives us usually three meals. I had plenty of trials. On-line searches said "overcooked'. But before cooking I had trouble cleaning/peeling. 20$ a pound was a bit high. We just gave up on shrimp for a while until I tried the Wild Gulf. 

Wild Gulf shrimp from WF 365 has been excellent. I think it is 25$ for 2 pounds. 

I'm always hesitant to give disappointing reviews as things change all the time in the sea. How they are caught and how they are frozen/handled.

Seems every delivery has at least one disappointment. My second ButcherBox had an excellent ham for NewYearsDay and awful burgers that are going into the pups food. (we grind our own) so I think best, like mentioned, to find a delivery service that lets you select just what you want rather than a 'suppliers choice'. 

19 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm trying to get the bass out of my voice, but am preparing to ask them to send me what I actually ordered.  In addition to these 24 pieces of salmon that are now crowding the meat in my freezer.  

Curious what they charged you. And I did not know FultonFish has a monthly dealio. 

I'm guessing the nasty ammonia scented old squid I was sent was an out-of-stock item so they tossed in a few extra pounds loose. And not what I ordered. DH said it was closer to 8-ten pounds. And straight to the garbage. Gagging. Bad business plan. 

I did a coin flip and did not try WildFork last holiday month. They were on the short list. Canceling get-togethers was a bummer. So we downsized the meal planning. 

Misfits tosses in free stuff but it is hot sauce, salsa, capers, or any number of pantry staples---not old perishable crap. 

Sharing with neighbors or family might be my plan. When I was delivered 6 dozen eggs instead of 3 I gave to my neighbor that then gifted treats in return. She bakes.

When a Palouse order went missing, they said no problem and sent another right away. 25 pounds of beans. Not sure how 25lbs of beans goes missing but said I would donate to the neighbor firehouse if it showed up. Never did. 

No way would I enjoy seeking compensation for a wrong order not my fault. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having signed up for emails from Wild Fork, just got one this morning that they are opening a store about 5 minutes from my office. Nice.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 1/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, AlaMoi said:

these are U8 wild caught dry pack scallops - shipped fresh on ice.

MaineLobsterNow.com

superb stuff!  good communications - tell them the arrival date and they ship to meet (overnight $$)IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.a01887673ada7b5205e9eabd151d0a4f.JPG

If they're U8 scallops, why are there 9 of them?

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

Wild Fork is now advertising on Phillies baseball games which I guess is a sign of progress.

Unfortunately the ad enunciates "Wild Fork" so badly that I may be the only one who understood it.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 3