• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fish/frozen fish, shellfish online

Franci

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

They seriously cook fast.  I'm thinking, based on my most recent experiment, that poaching (at around 170℉) is the way to go. Sous vide too.

Steam oven.

300 for 10 min or so

• Like 1

@Smithy 

thanks for your through review inc packing

I have an odd question :

on the salmon(s) :  

did the individual Fz packs have both ' toward the head ' 

filet and tail filet ?   Im hoping they have plenty of

TTH filets !

Is there a comparably good east coast operation? I can get locally here in the bay area most of the fish that Wild Alaska supplies, but I want east coast or southeast coast fish. I'm suffering post partum depression since leaving Atlanta. I want redfish, grouper, Atlantic cod, blackfish, sea bass, etc. Wild gulf shrimp, excepted. The ones we get here in CA are the same as the ones we could buy in Atlanta, both very good. The cost in Atlanta was about 3 to 4 dollars cheaper per pound.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Is there a comparably good east coast operation? I can get locally here in the bay area most of the fish that Wild Alaska supplies, but I want east coast or southeast coast fish. I'm suffering post partum depression since leaving Atlanta. I want redfish, grouper, Atlantic cod, blackfish, sea bass, etc. Wild gulf shrimp, excepted. The ones we get here in CA are the same as the ones we could buy in Atlanta, both very good. The cost in Atlanta was about 3 to 4 dollars cheaper per pound.

Many years ago, I used to buy wild gulf shrimp from somewhere on Florida's Gulf coast... unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the place, although I think I still have a large piece of grouper in my laydown freezer that may have their label on it.  But doing a fast search for "gulf seafood shipping" brought up a whole bunch of options - none of which I have any personal experience with.... but worth a shot.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

what plan did you get ?

ie  the order we see in the pic and your description

This was the Wild Combo 12-pack (the smallest box, with a mix of red and white fish). I added on the Wild Coho 6-pack because it was on sale, and of course there were the prawns as a freebie. I'll have to answer your other question (about which ends of the filets) after I go look again in the freezer, but I believe there were plenty from both ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

KennethT, you raise a couple of good points:

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

Mine came in in a similar fashion - the dry ice was fully intact.  In fact, I left the dry ice in the box (after taking the fish out) and it was still mostly htere this morning too!  How does one dispose of dry ice?  I know that it will sublimate on its own, but that leaves my apartment filled with a blanket of CO2 on the floor (CO2 is heavier than air).  I'd rather not open up the windows - first of all, the external windows are like 100 years old and I'm afraid if once I open it, I won't be able to close it (the building has plans to renovate them soon).  Also, the apartment is well sealed - there's even a rubber gasket between the hallway door and frame.  There is an exhaust in the kitchen and bath, but since very little makeup air can get in, that means you won't have a lot going into the exhaust.

It's an interesting question. I put it in our chest freezer, atop the newly acquired fish. That freezer is outside in the garage, so I don't have to worry about the increased CO2. If I hadn't done that, I'd have just chucked it out on the driveway or maybe amused myself by chucking into our pond.

Hmm...  Personally, I don't see how a 6oz portion of fish is enough for 2 people unless you have multiple courses (appetizers, desserts, etc.)  For the two of us, I usually make about 3/4# of salmon to go along with rice or orzo, typically.

That's a good point. Each package has 2 filets (or steaks) so in my mind's eye that's two portions. I may have to plan on 2 packages for 2 people, but I expect we'll have leftovers if I do that.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmm...  Personally, I don't see how a 6oz portion of fish is enough for 2 people unless you have multiple courses (appetizers, desserts, etc.)  For the two of us, I usually make about 3/4# of salmon to go along with rice or orzo, typically.

Yeah, it's not.  I make two packages at a time (12 oz., usually salmon + halibut), and then I'll have a little leftover for bagels in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd have just chucked it out on the driveway or maybe amused myself by chucking into our pond.

Ooh my favorite front porch Halloween thing - the witches cauldron with dry ice. As to your fish and your DH's fried mindset. You'll just have to visit @Shelby next travel time with her locally caught fried fish suppers - he may never leave ;)  The fish you got - I hope you experiment with different preps. "A Whole New World"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

thanks for your through review inc packing

I have an odd question :

on the salmon(s) :  

did the individual Fz packs have both ' toward the head ' 

filet and tail filet ?   Im hoping they have plenty of

TTH filets !

rotuts, I just looked into the freezer and snapped some photos for you. The Coho salmon came in two types: the "Captain's Cut (circled in yellow) seems to be tail pieces. The regular Coho filets (circled in blue) seem to be from more nearly toward the head. I only dug out one Sockeye package (circled in red), and since the choice on that package was to show you the label or the skin, you're seeing the skin! This filet looks like it's from right behind the gills.

20210624_170942.jpg

Incidentally, the plastic bags that had held the dry ice were empty. They're headed for the recycler next.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ooh my favorite front porch Halloween thing - the witches cauldron with dry ice. As to your fish and your DH's fried mindset. You'll just have to visit @Shelby next travel time with her locally caught fried fish suppers - he may never leave ;)  The fish you got - I hope you experiment with different preps. "A Whole New World"

If *I* were to visit Shelby, I probably wouldn't want to leave either! Her fried fish always looks so goooood. As does everything else she cooks. Nonetheless, I've spent the afternoon pulling out books with promising-looking recipes. First chance for me to cook will be this weekend. Oh, the choices!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

f *I* were to visit Shelby, I probably wouldn't want to leave either!

I just wanna drive a tractor. And shoot a dove.

You never know what you're gonna get in the frozen situation from Wild Alaska; the captain cuts I believe were an add-on.

It's good quality fish - much of it I'm sure comes from not the giantest fish in the haul.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My question about where the cut comes from

simply gives me a good idea  if they do

grading of some sort , based on different

flavor and texture.  ( ie Fat )

they seem to , which I think is a very good thing.

Id pay a reasonable amount more 

for cuts closer to the head .

Im keeping this place  in mind for the future !

P.S.:  that's not to say that the rest of the salmon

is not top notch freshly frozen fish.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I just wanna drive a tractor. And shoot a dove.

Ha you have just masterminded a new income stream for @Shelby and Ronnie - a dude ranch sort of thing but on a Kansas farm and hunting/fishing grounds  with cooking lessons included. barn can be converted to guest housing. Barn cats a friendly bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

My question about where the cut comes from

simply gives me a good idea  if they do

grading of some sort , based on different

flavor and texture.  ( ie Fat )

they seem to , which I think is a very good thing.

Id pay a reasonable amount more 

for cuts closer to the head .

Im keeping this place  in mind for the future !

I'm interested, too.  I would be very likely to buy if there are thicker pieces, not just tail pieces.

Thicker to me means its cut closer to the head.

thicker might mean  ' for uniform cooking '  for sure

but Id love to be able to get the cuts

closest to the head.

some you can tell by the ' shoulder ' fin indentation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Is there a reason you require frozen rather than fresh Atlantic fish to fulfill your east coast fetish?  Citarella ships to California.  The only downside is flat rate to the west coast was $50 per order as I recall.  I've bought from Citarella twice and I've been impressed by their packaging and freshness.  Their fish takes no longer to get to you in California than to me in New Jersey.  Though, thankfully to me in New Jersey, it is cheaper.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is there a reason you require frozen rather than fresh Atlantic fish to fulfill your east coast fetish?  Citarella ships to California. 

Browne does as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Citarella gets some of their fish from Browne.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 6/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is there a reason you require frozen rather than fresh Atlantic fish to fulfill your east coast fetish?  Citarella ships to California.  The only downside is flat rate to the west coast was $50 per order as I recall.  I've bought from Citarella twice and I've been impressed by their packaging and freshness.  Their fish takes no longer to get to you in California than to me in New Jersey.  Though, thankfully to me in New Jersey, it is cheaper.

I don't require frozen. Did I say that? Although it occurs that if you receive it unfrozen it has probably been frozen once before, no?

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't require frozen. Did I say that? Although it occurs that if you receive it unfrozen it has probably been frozen once before, no?

They say not:

"When you order our fresh seafood online, what you receive always reflects the unrivaled standard of our markets. It’s hand-prepared, never frozen, and shipped overnight."

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou