• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fish/frozen fish, shellfish online

Franci

On 6/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, Smithy said:

Here's my first test of the Wild Alaskan shipment. I thawed 3 packages of Coho Salmon. Each package was around 6 oz worth of fish. @rotuts, I took a picture of each piece on edge, so you could see that at the thickest they were around 1" thick. I think these must be from nearer the head, or at least not near the tail. Can you tell from these shots?

20210628_220600.jpg

These fillets are glazed with salt water as the spot prawns were that @KennethT mentioned above. I took a cue from him and thawed the fish in salty water in the refrigerator. Was that useful or helpful? I don't know. The package instructions simply say to remove from the packaging and thaw under refrigeration. As it happened, I'd snapped the photos above when family called from out of town. We went out to dinner. The salmon were still icy in places the next morning, so the refrigerator thaw in salt water is indeed a slow and gentle method. 

When I pulled the fillets out to start cooking the fish flesh was VERY soft, almost mealy. Was that because of the long, slow thaw and hold in salty water? Should I have simply left them in a covered dish without the water? I've noticed that texture with some salmon in the past. I don't remember whether it's been a particular variety of salmon. I'll ask Wild Alaskan and see what they have to say.

Was this salmon better than we could have gotten at the store?  I don't know, but it was at least as good: beautifully frozen, very fresh tasting. I'll ask Wild Alaskan about the texture and the proper thawing method, and report back.

We've been ordering from Wild Alaskan for a few months and have been happy with the results (except for a salmon burger that seemed riddled with parasites ... we're now sticking to the Sockeye and Coho fillets).

I haven't experienced any mealy texture. I did try thawing in salt water in the fridge (an experiment in simultaneous thawing and brining) and it took so long as to not be worth it. I believe the best way to thaw is right in the cryovac packaging in cool water. Thaw it rapidly, then open the packages, cover and hold in the coldest part of the fridge until you cook. The company does not recommend this; but when I spoke to them on the phone the rep did not seem to know anything about food, food chemistry / biology, or cooking. Just wrote instructions.

I suspect they fear that customers might leave foot vacuum sealed at temperatures that could allow activation and growth of anaerobic bacteria, which would be bad. But if you make sure that the fish doesn't get much above freezing, and then expose it to air if you have to hold more than a few hours, there will be zero risk of this.

So far I've cooked with and without brining (seafood is the only thing I brine ... it firms the texture and reduces oozing albumin), both sous-vide and in a pan. I can get closer to perfect gradient-free results sous-vide, but the improvement is usually not worth the added time & effort & plastic. So usually I just thaw, bring to room temperature, dry the surface with paper towels, dust with salt and wondra flour (an Eric Rippert trick for perfectly crisp skin) and throw skin-down in a very hot pan with generous amounts of neutral oil. After it browns I turn the heat low, flip, and when the center looks almost perfect, transfer to warmed plates, skin-up. I give my girlfriend's fillet about a minute longer than my own. I like it melt-in-your-mouth tender (~43°C); she likes it a little firmer.

Overall I'm quite happy with the quality. It's in the same league as what I can get at the 2 or 3 best fish shops in NYC. Much better than what I can get conveniently. I just wish they had more kinds of fish. I understand there are some tasty things in the sea besides salmon.

• Like 5

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

We've been ordering from Wild Alaskan for a few months and have been happy with the results (except for a salmon burger that seemed riddled with parasites ... we're now sticking to the Sockeye and Coho fillets).

I haven't experienced any mealy texture. I did try thawing in salt water in the fridge (an experiment in simultaneous thawing and brining) and it took so long as to not be worth it. I believe the best way to thaw is right in the cryovac packaging in cool water. Thaw it rapidly, then open the packages, cover and hold in the coldest part of the fridge until you cook. The company does not recommend this; but when I spoke to them on the phone the rep did not seem to know anything about food, food chemistry / biology, or cooking. Just wrote instructions.

I suspect they fear that customers might leave foot vacuum sealed at temperatures that could allow activation and growth of anaerobic bacteria, which would be bad. But if you make sure that the fish doesn't get much above freezing, and then expose it to air if you have to hold more than a few hours, there will be zero risk of this.

So far I've cooked with and without brining (seafood is the only thing I brine ... it firms the texture and reduces oozing albumin), both sous-vide and in a pan. I can get closer to perfect gradient-free results sous-vide, but the improvement is usually not worth the added time & effort & plastic. So usually I just thaw, bring to room temperature, dry the surface with paper towels, dust with salt and wondra flour (an Eric Rippert trick for perfectly crisp skin) and throw skin-down in a very hot pan with generous amounts of neutral oil. After it browns I turn the heat low, flip, and when the center looks almost perfect, transfer to warmed plates, skin-up. I give my girlfriend's fillet about a minute longer than my own. I like it melt-in-your-mouth tender (~43°C); she likes it a little firmer.

Overall I'm quite happy with the quality. It's in the same league as what I can get at the 2 or 3 best fish shops in NYC. Much better than what I can get conveniently. I just wish they had more kinds of fish. I understand there are some tasty things in the sea besides salmon.

I don't believe I ever followed up on subsequent batches. I haven't had any problem with mealy texture since that first time, and I've followed more or less the same procedure as you describe for thawing. I have still had trouble cooking salmon so that it didn't dry out: even steam-convection baking in the CSO managed to overdo it for us, no doubt because the filets are so thin.

Oddly enough, I've had much better success with their cod, slightly better success with their halibut, and excellent success with the sablefish. What's odd about it is that I'll take salmon every time over a white fish for flavor...but hey, I'm finding ways to cook those white fish so that we both like it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Oddly enough, I've had much better success with their cod, slightly better success with their halibut, and excellent success with the sablefish. What's odd about it is that I'll take salmon every time over a white fish for flavor...but hey, I'm finding ways to cook those white fish so that we both like it!

They have cod, halibut, and sablefish at Wild Alaskan? I mustn't have looked carefully at the website. That would be great news.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

@Smithy 

Idon't mean to be ' cheeky '

as i have not seen the fish :

''  the filets are so thin ''

could you ' reverse ' stack 

two filets . so over all the thickness was the same ?

stuff in-between the two layers w ' something tasty '

maybe even on the baking sheet , and a little over the top

and bake ?  if thew flavor of the fish is really good

this might work 

and no its not the same as a thick salmon filet 

charred but still tender and juicy in the middle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

They have cod, halibut, and sablefish at Wild Alaskan? I mustn't have looked carefully at the website. That would be great news.

When you get your monthly box email, make sure you select either the combo box (for salmon + various white fish) or the white fish only box.

Edited by KennethT (log)

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

When you get your monthly box email, make sure you select either the combo box (for salmon + various white fish) or the white fish only box.

You can also adjust your order to get add-ons. That's where the sablefish comes in. They also offer spotted prawns.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/5/2021 at 6:53 PM, paulraphael said:

The halibut may be my favorite since I started touting this stuff.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, paulraphael said:

Thaw it rapidly, then open the packages, cover and hold in the coldest part of the fridge until you cook. The company does not recommend this; but when I spoke to them on the phone the rep did not seem to know anything about food, food chemistry / biology, or cooking. Just wrote instructions.

This has always been my method, until some here started to get scary about it!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

I made two of the sockeye salmon fillets from Wild Alaska last night.  It was the first time that I didn't overcook the crap out of them!  They were dusted with rice flour and shallow fried in the wok - it took about 45 seconds per side if that.  Then covered with a belacan sambal topping I made earlier in the day.  Devoured before photos were taken....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what to do but leaning towards WildFork for the holidays. If so, it will be my first order. 

Thanksgiving worked out so well by ordering ahead between ButcherBox and Misfits I had no running around at all. No stress.

The up-coming holidays are mapped out to have oyster stew x-mas eve, pork shoulder braised BoSaam x-mas day. Lobster rolls NewYears...ham, black-eyed peas, collards NewYears day. Seafood all the days between the two. We will see some friends here or there but have decided we want no set dates. Weather dependent and all daylight brunches. All agree. I have plenty of cod, salmon, gulf shrimp. I just need 4 pints of fresh shucked oysters and cannot get everything in one place so far. 

Has anyone ordered these various frozen seafood items from WildFork? It would be nice to put together a seafood salad quickly. With shrimp and hot smoked salmon, scallops...a cold salad, lots of lemon, celery, olives, capers. Fresh crab is priced through the roof so I'm scraping that one. Mini cod cakes or smoked salmon croquettes are always well received. Easy to put together. 

Wild Fork seafood mix

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

I've had good experiences with Wild fork - but a few things to keep in mind - some people have complained that the weight of product they get is not what they thought - there can be some variation from what their guidlelines state.  Also, make sure you order early - sometimes they sell out of things and don't always get them back immediately.

Thanks. That makes sense having more experience with ordering the past couple years. I think, like last year, and this past thanksgiving...having options in the freezer early is best for us anyway. I can scratch cook a 'no recipe, recipe'. A Fishermans stew or chowder. An oyster pan roast. Just feels sleezy to fridge shop seafood at home having had a relationship with a fishmonger for years. Getting a head and spine full of meat from a freshly filleted cod for stock. Not going to happen. They are back to one person at a time in the shop. Long lines. I'll pre-order and pay for oysters and they will bring them out to me. No waiting and I will be guaranteed they are in stock. Oysters I care most about. Oyster stew, oyster pan roast, oyster Po'Boy. 

We loosely planned a GrandCentralOysterBar meet up with a couple friends. They decided a wait-and-see. They would rather bring a few dozen to us to shuck and I'll make a pan roast with my shucked, and grill a dozen. 

I do have some lobster in the freezer. Not enough for lobster rolls but plenty for a cup of bisque for four. I can always get Lukes lobster from Whole Foods. Mid week after x-mas should be easy to get for NewYearsEve lobster rolls. 

I could delete WildFork but it does look tempting. I'll decide by Thursday-friday. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)

18 hours ago, weinoo said:

Fresh Direct has shucked oysters...

Deja vu. I've been through this before. Up at 3 am and went through the past few years of holiday photos. (incredible sunrise this morning in NY---pinks, oranges, and purples)

2019 was way off script. Travel plans were aborted for some reason. Maybe a storm? My memory is shot. We were packing for a big road trip Feb-March 2020. Bummer. Canadian border closed. 

Sure, disappointments in 2019 being way too late to get some oysters and crab, etc. We did great with rack of lamb x-mas and brisket for NewYears. Excellent pastrami on rye with horseradish cream next day. No memory but the pics show delights. 😜

2018 I did an impressive 7 fishes for a small crowd. Mostly apps standing and moving around inside/outside. Only sat down together for the 'main' fisherman's chowder.  

Thanks for that. The FreshDirect. I remember last year to the day googling 'salt cod online'. FreshDirect came up in the header. They have fish carcass for stock, and shucked oysters, and crab for cakes...but no lobster meat. No supplier has all three. As far as I can find. 

I'm fine without a traditional Italian/Greek Mediterranean seafood salad. I can recipe/no recipe with what I have. Home hot smoked salmon, shrimp, salt cod. 

Menu needs are down to fresh shucked oysters and lobster. Nothing else maters. If FreshDirect had lobster that would solve it. Two deliveries is no big deal. Thankfully I have no need to run around town for anything. 

(I like photos. Unfortunately we cannot post here)

*FreshDirect is a bad memory when I could not get a delivery date for months. Almost a year. But they have fish heads and bone spine for fish stock....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this technically might should be in the media thread, but this podcast episode is about fish CSAs, and seafood-by-mail and why it's good for fisheries and small-business fishermen (fisherwomen?).  

I first learned about Hank Shaw from @Shelby, who mentioned his website somewhere.  I thought this was a good episode.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I think this technically might should be in the media thread, but this podcast episode is about fish CSAs, and seafood-by-mail and why it's good for fisheries and small-business fishermen (fisherwomen?).  

I first learned about Hank Shaw from @Shelby, who mentioned his website somewhere.  I thought this was a good episode.

Not going through the hoops of getting in but love Hank. Surely  informative.

• Like 1

I think I might be cursed with this mail-order fish thing.   My first mail order from Wild Alaskan failed to arrive, and sat in a Fedex facility for two day.  Ix-nay to that fish.  

The second order was missing the halibut cuts.  

I went on and cancelled that subscription, thinking that The Universe Was Telling Me to Buy Local.  

So, this past Christmas I signed up for a fish subscription from the famous Fulton Fish Market, which is now in the Bronx and not down on Fulton.  Four 6-oz pieces of various finfish, plus one pound of shrimp or scallops. 

The hope was to explore different types of fish, to get away from my salmon habit, and to vanquish the shrimp aversion I have had since eating and rejecting a bad one way back in '95. 

Well.  My first subscription order arrived today.  It included two 6-oz portions of striped bass; a pound of scallops; and TWENTY-FOUR 6-oz portions of frozen salmon.  A mixed up order which they called a "snafu".

W.T.F.  

I was not raised to find fury in a bounty that happens to not be exactly what I wanted.  For most of my life, the idea of a million pieces of good salmon falling off of a truck would've been a serious, serious blessing.  

However.  I.Am.FURIOUS.

I don't want to eat salmon very other day until the g*d*** equinox.  Rather:  I WANT to eat various beautiful delicate lovely wondrous OTHER FISH. 

But obviously there is no reason to keep getting subscription fish of any sort.  

I am embarrassed about how furious I am.  But I.Am.FURIOUS.  

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.85d9a76902a46f8acc12fbc1a0a6b892.JPG

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

"Snafu! We'll cancel your subscription for six weeks".

I'm trying to get the bass out of my voice, but am preparing to ask them to send me what I actually ordered.  In addition to these 24 pieces of salmon that are now crowding the meat in my freezer.