• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fish/frozen fish, shellfish online

Franci

8 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've gotten the same "can't be done now" response on overnight meats.  the carriers must be in a real struggle - I know Amazon Prime (2 day) is a total joke at this point....

As an aside, I was on a Zoom call today about potential business opportunities post-COVID -- the consensus was a major restructuring of the supply chain, with a focus on more and smaller distribution centers dispersed about the country, was the general forecast.

A 4-million-square-foot distribution center is a fine thing, as long as nothing fouls up the long legs between it and its destinations. Current experience and wisdom seems to indicate smaller, and closer together, DCs will ensure fewer failures due to supply chain disruptions.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've been very happy with the quality and delivery of the frozen seafood I'm getting from Great-Alaska-Seafood.

It arrives overnight, fedex, in perfect (i.e. frozen rock solid) condition.

And so far, the halibut, salmon, shrimp and scallops have all been very good. Dare I say better shrimp, slamon and halibut that I might get at Essex Market. I still haven't tried Pierless yet, as I'm trying to go through some of the stuff in my freezer.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've been very happy with the quality and delivery of the frozen seafood I'm getting from Great-Alaska-Seafood.

It arrives overnight, fedex, in perfect (i.e. frozen rock solid) condition.

And so far, the halibut, salmon, shrimp and scallops have all been very good. Dare I say better shrimp, slamon and halibut that I might get at Essex Market. I still haven't tried Pierless yet, as I'm trying to go through some of the stuff in my freezer.

I just looked at their site... looks great.

But tuna is 24.95 for "10 to 14 oz".  Not 24.95/lb, just a flat rate for fish in that range. 40% variation in weight ...same price.

Odd

29 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I just looked at their site... looks great.

But tuna is 24.95 for "10 to 14 oz".  Not 24.95/lb, just a flat rate for fish in that range. 40% variation in weight ...same price.

Odd

True, but I will say that most of the filets I've been getting are on the high side of the weights listed.  So if I buy a pound of Copper River salmon, and it's two filets, it's likely to weigh 18+ oz. And whenever they've had to make a substitution, it has been with a higher priced item. They do say this about that tuna...

Saku blocks are cut based on dimensions, not weight. This is preferred by Japanese chef's in sashimi tuna preparations as they base their servings on the number of slices they serve.

Their free shipping policy kicks in at 8 lbs., which is no small amount for my home freezer.  The packaging is great too.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 5/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, Smithy said:

That's part of my hesitation. The other part is that we have a couple of local fishermen who make their living providing Alaskan fish to stores and businesses here. I haven't had the chance since we got home to see how that stock is holding up, but if they're still in business I'd rather support them.  I'll be able to find out this week.

I'm happy to report that the fishing businesses I referred to are still in business and the supply is good. Our local stores' supplies of seafood (and freshwater fish) are as good as ever. I'll be interested in reading about online supplies, but I can keep supporting the local guys.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My order from Wild Alaskan Salmon has arrived.  Everything was rock-solid and the fish looks marvelous.  But the order was missing the halibut portions, sigh.  

I'd say, they're not quite ready for prime time.  If I decide to keep ordering non-local stuff -- the flash freezing is really an advantage over getting vaguely fresh stuff that I then freeze -- but if I do this again, I'll try the company weinoo has recommended.

• Like 2

What was their response to not having the halibut, @SLB?  I've heard very good things about that salmon as far as taste goes!

There are quite a few Alaskan seafood suppliers; I guess it's hard to know which one is the "best," and I guess it depends on what you're looking to eat. Also, most of these places were doing this type of shipping way before the pandemic buying, so they know what they're doing.  My friends who have ordered and eaten the stuff from Great-Alaska have all thanked me for recommending it; just don't order the smoked stuff (I didn't like it much), just order the fresh frozen.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Fair point on the shipping; the truth is, all of the shippers are drastically stressed; I get that now just is not the time to be ordering things that don't admit much flexibility.

On the halibut, I suggested an adjustment as an alternative; the packaging/shipping yaddayaddayadda for 12 measly ounces of fish is just not appropriate, not in these times or any other.  

So I think I'm getting a bit of a refund.  

I realize I went kinda Karen on this -- particularly when the customer service dialogue seemed to vanish --  but I am going to be fine.    

• Like 1

There has been little press here in the Pacific Northwest about the opening of the annual Copper River Salmon season, which is understandable given the times.  I haven't ventured out, but this weekend I'll check a few local markets to see if it's in and at what price point.  It's always expensive this time of year, and given the economic factors, I doubt there will be much demand.  I checked on the Alaska Seafood website and they are selling it flash frozen for $67.95 a pound.  Don't know what it was from them this time last year, but I bet it wasn't that much.  For my tastes I think it is a salmon that is actually best prepared fresh.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SLB said:

On the halibut, I suggested an adjustment as an alternative; the packaging/shipping yaddayaddayadda for 12 measly ounces of fish is just not appropriate, not in these times or any other.  

I'm gonna sound like an advertisement, but when Great-Alaska substitutes, or when they have subbed a product for another out-of-stock product, it has been something of equal or greater value. In equal or greater amounts.

17 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Don't know what it was from them this time last year, but I bet it wasn't that much.  For my tastes I think it is a salmon that is actually best prepared fresh.

I don't doubt  that, but what I've found is that cooking in the steam oven, at low temperatures, gives a pretty good finished product.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 10 months later...

Picking up where last year I left off...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160640-buying-online-fishfrozen-fish-shellfish/?do=findComment&comment=2247810

As I've said, shad is my favorite fish.  Sadly shad has not passed my lips for years.  I live seventeen miles east of a commercial shad fishery.  I live about five miles north of a noted shadmonger.  I live four miles from a fancy grocery that has most wonderful fish and meats on offer, including lovely shad in season.  In my circumstance they might as well all be on Mars.

Who knows how long any of us may live?  I'd love to taste shad again before I die.  Two years ago @Katie Meadow suggested Citarella as a shad supplier.  Last spring with much hope and trepidation I ordered shad from Citarella.  The Citarella website accepted my shad order but Citarella could not supply the shad.

Does anyone know of a reliable New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania fishmonger who can actually, really, really deliver exceptional fresh shad expertly boned?  Not just those who talk the talk.  Price is not (much) a consideration.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Picking up where last year I left off...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160640-buying-online-fishfrozen-fish-shellfish/?do=findComment&comment=2247810

As I've said, shad is my favorite fish.  Sadly shad has not passed my lips for years.  I live seventeen miles east of a commercial shad fishery.  I live about five miles north of a noted shadmonger.  I live four miles from a fancy grocery that has most wonderful fish and meats on offer, including lovely shad in season.  In my circumstance they might as well all be on Mars.

Who knows how long any of us may live?  I'd love to taste shad again before I die.  Two years ago @Katie Meadow suggested Citarella as a shad supplier.  Last spring with much hope and trepidation I ordered shad from Citarella.  The Citarella website accepted my shad order but Citarella could not supply the shad.

Does anyone know of a reliable New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania fishmonger who can actually, really, really deliver exceptional fresh shad expertly boned?  Not just those who talk the talk.  Price is not (much) a consideration.

Good luck with the search. Given your local resources I'm surprised it is so elusive. Maybe everyone hates boning it? I don't have a ghost of a chance, here in CA. Shad is so delicious.

42 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Good luck with the search. Given your local resources I'm surprised it is so elusive. Maybe everyone hates boning it? I don't have a ghost of a chance, here in CA. Shad is so delicious.

Problem is on a good day I could probably walk the four miles.  I doubt I could walk the four miles back.  I'm sure I've told the story of making it to the store in Princeton only to be told:  "We sold our last shad last night."

At my age I have a reliable food radius of about two miles.

A friend was able to get shad and roe 2 or 3 weeks in a row at the farmer's market. But then it stopped. And it wasn't boned.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean Japanese shad, but this place  is probably your best best for all other interesting seafood. And I think they might deliver to your area. But who knows?

https://shop.yamaseafood.com/products/5f935e2eb9554f1405a4d576

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker E. Frank Hopkins lists shad as a current "special" here https://www.efrankhopkins.com/philadelphia-seafood-specials.html

Hopkins did not say anything about shipping shad unfortunately.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker E. Frank Hopkins lists shad as a current "special" here https://www.efrankhopkins.com/philadelphia-seafood-specials.html

Speaking of this place in Philadelphia, another friend of mine really speaks highly of Samuels Seafood? Ever used them, @gfweb?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Speaking of this place in Philadelphia, another friend of mine really speaks highly of Samuels Seafood? Ever used them, @gfweb?

Samuels says shad season is underway and they deliver anywhere.  But shad is not on their product list and the website has no shipping or delivery information that I can find.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, have you contemplated Uber or Lyft to get you to and from the purveyors of shad? Might be a worthwhile thing.

I don't do Uber or Lyft.  It used to be because I don't have a cellphone.  Now, thanks to someone's kindness, I actually have an older cellphone.  But currently it is only partially set up, and I don't know if it will really operate as a phone.

Speaking of phones, I just called the fishmonger I mentioned.  They don't have shad in stock, and they do not deliver.  Walk in or curbside only.

does the 4 mile grocery that has shad occasionally support instacart? they have a website you can use, with an option for adding custom requests if there were, say, shad in stock when you called, but not listed on the website.

i'm not sure what town you're in, but there's probably also some sort of local third party  grocery delivery business that will simply go wherever you want versus a list of pre-approved stores.

10 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

does the 4 mile grocery that has shad occasionally support instacart? they have a website you can use, with an option for adding custom requests if there were, say, shad in stock when you called, but not listed on the website.

i'm not sure what town you're in, but there's probably also some sort of local third party  grocery delivery business that will simply go wherever you want versus a list of pre-approved stores.

By coincidence I had just checked.  They do offer instacart.  Not sure how that would work.  I wish amazon/Whole Foods had shad.  My guess is they probably do if you went in the store, but it is not offered on line.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

By coincidence I had just checked.  They do offer instacart.  Not sure how that would work.  I wish amazon/Whole Foods had shad.  My guess is they probably do if you went in the store, but it is not offered on line.

it may not be worth the trouble, but if you call and ask if they have it in stock, you might be able to request it as a custom request on instacart. 

• Thanks 1