• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I think I might be cursed with this mail-order fish thing.   My first mail order from Wild Alaskan failed to arrive, and sat in a Fedex facility for two day.  Ix-nay to that fish.  

The second order was missing the halibut cuts.  

I went on and cancelled that subscription, thinking that The Universe Was Telling Me to Buy Local.  

So, this past Christmas I signed up for a fish subscription from the famous Fulton Fish Market, which is now in the Bronx and not down on Fulton.  Four 6-oz pieces of various finfish, plus one pound of shrimp or scallops. 

The hope was to explore different types of fish, to get away from my salmon habit, and to vanquish the shrimp aversion I have had since eating and rejecting a bad one way back in '95. 

Well.  My first subscription order arrived today.  It included two 6-oz portions of striped bass; a pound of scallops; and TWENTY-FOUR 6-oz portions of frozen salmon.  A mixed up order which they called a "snafu".

W.T.F.  

I was not raised to find fury in a bounty that happens to not be exactly what I wanted.  For most of my life, the idea of a million pieces of good salmon falling off of a truck would've been a serious, serious blessing.  

However.  I.Am.FURIOUS.

I don't want to eat salmon very other day until the g*d*** equinox.  Rather:  I WANT to eat various beautiful delicate lovely wondrous OTHER FISH. 

But obviously there is no reason to keep getting subscription fish of any sort.  

I am embarrassed about how furious I am.  But I.Am.FURIOUS.  

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.85d9a76902a46f8acc12fbc1a0a6b892.JPG

SLB

SLB

I think I might be cursed with this mail-order fish thing.   My first mail order from Wild Alaskan failed to arrive, and sat in a Fedex facility for two day.  Ix-nay to that fish.  

The second order was missing the halibut cuts.  

I went on and cancelled that subscription, thinking that The Universe Was Telling Me to Buy Local.  

So, this past Christmas I signed up for a fish subscription from the famous Fulton Fish Market, which is now in the Bronx and not down on Fulton.  Four 6-oz pieces of various finfish, plus one pound of shrimp or scallops. 

The hope was to explore different types of fish, to get away from my salmon habit, and to vanquish the shrimp aversion I have had since eating and rejecting a bad one way back in '95. 

Well.  My first subscription order arrived today.  It included two 6-oz portions of striped bass; a pound of scallops; and TWENTY-FOUR 6-oz portions of frozen salmon.  

W.T.F.  

I was not raised to find fury in a bounty that happens to not be exactly what I wanted.  For most of my life, the idea of a million pieces of good salmon falling off of a truck would've been a serious, serious blessing.  

However.  I.Am.FURIOUS.

I don't want to eat salmon very other day until the g*d*** equinox.  Rather:  I WANT to eat various beautiful delicate lovely wondrous OTHER FISH. 

But obviously there is no reason to keep getting subscription fish of any sort.  

I am embarrassed about how furious I am.  But I.Am.FURIOUS.  

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.85d9a76902a46f8acc12fbc1a0a6b892.JPG