• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long does Almond Extract last?

Mark LaPolla

I've never bought it in that quantity but the small bottles of "pure almond extract" available on grocery shelves definitely go off. Or rather, a bottle I had definitely went off. One bottle probably isn't evidence that they can go off, maybe I contaminated it in some way without realizing it. But whatever the cause, it was clearly evident when I opened it that it wasn't being used in anything I was making. There was no doubt, based on the smell, that something wasn't right. I wish I knew how long it had been on my shelf before I noticed the problem but it wasn't something that occurred to me to keep track of. Best estimate is "a really long time" because I don't use it often.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

As with any food items the storage conditions matter (cool dark versus heat exposure) As noted  - test the taste and smell.  A jug sounds like a plastic bottle for commercial use?

So you had it tucked away. What I would do is convince myself its still tucked away and then bin it. If you haven't use it in 6 years, revisit the subject in another 6 years. By that time the guilt of throwing it away will be completely forgotten🙂

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

These extracts seem like they're basically high-proof alcohol, like vodka is.

Maybe put the bottle in the freezer and see if it gets thick and syrupy like a bottle of "frozen" vodka.

An old friend (kind of a hoarder) gave me a super old bottle of rum. I put it in my freezer and it actually formed ice crystals. I forgot what it tasted like, but I threw it out.

14 hours ago, Bernie said:

So you had it tucked away. What I would do is convince myself its still tucked away and then bin it. If you haven't use it in 6 years, revisit the subject in another 6 years. By that time the guilt of throwing it away will be completely forgotten🙂

By that time you won't remember what almond extract is, anyway. 

I don't agree that extracts keep forever. I think they deteriorate like just about everything else. Flavor is fragile.