• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help identify some stemware

Ichinichi

Hi everyone!

I am hoping that some of the experts on this subforum will be able to help me learn more about coupe glass shapes, what they're called, and rules of thumb for when to use which for what cocktails (e.g.Nick and Nora for stirred, champagne coupe for shaken?)

Specifically, I'm hoping to find out what these "pinch waist" coupes are properly called? Like for champagne there are fluted, tulip, and coupe shapes. What are the different varieties of cocktail coupes? I've uploaded an image. I see these sometimes at cocktail bars and want to explore this stemware space further.

Also, what are the rules for proper volume of a coupe for say a 4oz drink? The only article I've found on this can be summarized as "use a larger volume glass  if you're afraid of spills". Where might I learn more about either traditional stemware selection principles/conventions?

Thank you!!

coupehelp.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ichinichi said:

Specifically, I'm hoping to find out what these "pinch waist" coupes are properly called?

I am neither a bartender nor a glassware expert, so take my 2 cents for what it's worth.   That general size/shape glass in your photo is often called a tall champagne/sherbet glass or tall sherbet/champagne or some variation.  In contrast, low sherbet glasses have similarly shaped bowls but much shorter stems. 

I think the "pinched waist" shape of the bowl is a characteristic of the particular glassware or crystal pattern rather than the glass type.  I see the tall sherbet/champagne glasses with many different bowl shapes. 

Hopefully someone can offer you more assistance with the "rules" you are seeking.  I purchase vintage glassware to use for cocktails and use whatever I fancy to serve my friends, often adjusting the volume of the drink to suit the glasses.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

4 minutes ago, Ichinichi said:

Thank you for your insight, blue_dolphin!

That's actually another question I have; any ideas for where to find vintage glassware? My success rate at goodwill and the like is abysmal.

Not sure where you are located but if shops are open then be persistent with trolling through different thrift shops in your area and do it often.  Whole sets of 6, 8 or more are extremely rare in the thrifts in my area but estate sales can be good for that.  eBay can be a good option as well, especially if you have a specific pattern in mind.  Replacements.com is helpful if you just need to replace one or two in a set but their prices are much higher.  For whatever reason, the Salvation Army shop nearest to me rarely has much that I like, but when they do, the prices are excellent.  My Goodwill has quite a rapid turnover so I used to stop in there often.  All that stuff is shut down at the moment in my area so glassware acquisition is on hold for me!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ichinichi said:

That's actually another question I have; any ideas for where to find vintage glassware? My success rate at goodwill and the like is abysmal.

Antique malls will have a better selection - stuff that people bought at garage & estate sales knowing they can re-sell it vs. the crap from the back of the cupboard that gets donated to Goodwill.

My set of 5.5 oz coupes are a great size for most of the drinks I make at home (which average a little over 3oz before dilution). My wife found a couple of really charming coupes with antiquey etched designs in them at a thrift shop, but they are a bit bigger, and as a result the wash line is unappealingly low. Been wanting to pick up some Nick and Noras, which are usually a bit smaller in volume.