• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

48 minutes ago, Ichinichi said:

Specifically, I'm hoping to find out what these "pinch waist" coupes are properly called?

I am neither a bartender nor a glassware expert, so take my 2 cents for what it's worth.   That general size/shape glass in your photo is often called a tall champagne/sherbet glass or tall sherbet/champagne or some variation.  In contrast, low sherbet glasses have similarly shaped bowls but much shorter stems. 

I think the "pinched waist" shape of the bowl is a characteristic of the particular glassware or crystal pattern rather than the glass type.  I see the tall sherbet/champagne glasses with many different bowl shapes. 

Hopefully someone can offer you more assistance with the "rules" you are seeking.  I purchase vintage glassware to use for cocktails and use whatever I fancy to serve my friends, often adjusting the volume of the drink to suit the glasses.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

29 minutes ago, Ichinichi said:

Specifically, I'm hoping to find out what these "pinch waist" coupes are properly called?

I am neither a bartender nor a glassware expert, so take my 2 cents for what it's worth.   That general size/shape glass in your photo is often called a tall champagne/sherbet glass or tall sherbet/champagne or some variation.  In contrast, low sherbet glasses have similarly shaped bowls but much shorter stems. 

I think the "pinched waist" shape of the bowl is a characteristic of the particular glassware or crystal pattern rather than the glass type.  I see the tall sherbet/champagne glasses with many different bowl shapes. 

Hopefully someone can offer you more assistances with the "rules" you are seeking.  I purchase vintage glassware to use for cocktails and use whatever I fancy to serve my friends, often adjusting the volume of the drink to suit the glasses.