• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork (Porcelet) Collar - Braise or Roast?

weinoo

Does it come skin on ?

I’d probably riff off a porchetta, open the collar up, score crosswise, rub with fennel, rosemary, garlic, chili, salt. Roll up, tie into a fat sausage and SV. Dry surface in the fridge for some hours  ( w/ skin on, otherwise coat in seasoned starch) and deep fry ...

• Like 1

So the braise or roast part didn't go over too big?

@Duvel I actually saw when searching, that you were one of the few here who has dealt with this cut, and posted about it previously.

While your prep and method sounds lovely, it's just more than I want to undertake for home cooking; and deep frying in an NYC apartment with little to no ventilation sucks. Actually, my sous vide rig has not come out for pandemic cooking yet; it's been all oven, stove top, IP, CSO, et al. It makes the house smell good, and that's comforting these days.

Anyway, it's been braised, I'm reducing the braising liquid now, and I'll heat up a couple of slices in that for service, alongside a potato/fennel gratin that's in the oven.

IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.7c55307b66cf7b612debd5299e9c00d5.JPG

And this way, I get to use my cool Falk rondeau.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?