• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 5/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, Anna N said:

If you can detect the presence or absence of 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in this particular recipe then you obviously have an exquisite palate that puts mine to shame. Good for you. No hard feelings.

Pinch of salt into porridge or sweet foods, pinch of cayenne into savory foods, pinch of brown sugar into chili, etc.  It's not to taste lemon, it's an enhancer, like teo said.  When grocery store shopping returns to normal and I can get the ingredients I don't have, I want to give these a try as written, and if they are good, I'll do more batches one without lemon and one with another acid (vinegar, citric, tartaric, whatever feels easy).  If no one does it before me, then I'll share findings.

Why is no one talking about the low baking temp?!  It's very suspect!

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 5/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, Anna N said:

If you can detect the presence or absence of 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in this particular recipe then you obviously have an exquisite palate that puts mine to shame. Good for you. No hard feelings.

Pinch of salt into porridge or sweet foods, pinch of cayenne into savory foods, pinch of brown sugar into chili, etc.  It's not to taste lemon, it's an enhancer, like teo said.  When grocery store shopping returns to normal and I can get the ingredients I don't have, I want to give these a try as written, and if they are good, I'll do more batches one without lemon and one with another acid (vinegar, citric, tartaric, whatever feels easy).

Why is no one talking about the low baking temp?!  It's very suspect!