• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rabbit

isidore

If i go the braise route, because it is a lean meat, could it benefit to use a Instant pot vs a tradtional dutch oven? Also, because i will probably have the oven full of other dishes.

Edited by FeChef (log)

May I suggest a Catalan preparation ?

Chop the rabbit up in a few pieces, salt & pepper lightly dredge in flour and fry in hot olive oil until golden. Remove, add some garlic & onion. Fry until slightly colored, then add some chopped mushrooms (any will do), and - ideally - some dried ones as well. Add some Brandy and white wine. Return the rabbit, cover in aluminum foil and put into moderately hot oven to braise for 1.5h. 
Adjust seasoning and serve ...

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

39 minutes ago, FeChef said:

If i go the braise route, because it is a lean meat, could it benefit to use a Instant pot vs a tradtional dutch oven? Also, because i will probably have the oven full of other dishes.

I don't have an instant pot but would alternatively let it simmer on lowest heat, stovetop, if I didn't want to use the oven.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

My old cards say "navarin" My first was at Valentino - it was "something else"  https://la.eater.com/2019/1/2/18163217/valentino-closed-santa-monica-last-days-feature Tad heavy on the sherry - 

IMG_1301.JPG

And i thought my hand writing was worse then a doctors.

Is that 1 cup chicken and 1 cup beef broth? I was going to use a homade chick stock, not going to use beef.

30 minutes ago, FeChef said:

And i thought my hand writing was worse then a doctors.

Is that 1 cup chicken and 1 cup beef broth? I was going to use a homade chick stock, not going to use beef.

That is my good handwriting! Blame the French nuns - a mashup of American and French and my stubborn streak. No idea why 2 different stocks. Anything with good flavor. On a desperate day watered down soy sauce works ;)

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

That is my good handwriting! Blame the French nuns - a mashup of American and French and my stubborn streak. No idea why 2 different stocks. Anything with good flavor. On a desperate day watered down soy sauce works ;)

I was thinking Chicken stock, and a white wine and cream, I just feel the sauce should be light in both flavor, and color. I guess im making up my own here, but i just don;t know how to approach this. Im kinda thinking almost 40 cloves chicken type of dish. Am i making a mistake?

18 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I was thinking Chicken stock, and a white wine and cream, I just feel the sauce should be light in both flavor, and color. I guess im making up my own here, but i just don;t know how to approach this. Im kinda thinking almost 40 cloves chicken type of dish. Am i making a mistake?

Is there not a quote about "there are no mistakes". Experiments drive human progress. Though I say leave the moon alone - lets just figure out earth first ;)

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

Is there not a quote about "there are no mistakes". Experiments drive human progress. Though I say leave the moon alone - lets just figure out earth first ;)

A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery...

James Joyce Ulysses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Two stocks are common in many dishes.  We always used both chicken and beef when making onion soup.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Id go w @liuzhou 

suggestion .  mustard .

dont put it in an iPot .   the meat wil end up being very tender  

but the flavor of the meat will have been squeezed out into the stock.

if you do SV ,   cut up the R into pieces that you can vac.

coat each pice lightly in good quality mustard    no salt   mustard has salt

and SV  .      135 - 140     3 - 4 hours minimum

you wont get growing of course , but it will be very tasty

no I have not made rabbit SV.    no rabbit to be had w/o great expense and a lot of

fiddle faddle in my area.

""  it tastes just like  really really really good dark meat chicken.  "

rabbit with mustard     goggle this

• Like 1

I hope you heartless people at least wait until the bunny has delivered his Easter goodies.  Next you will be posting how you ate Rudolph the Reindeer on Christmas Eve!  Where will it end?😜

• Haha 5

Showcase the saddle and fry the rest.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Manager note: This post and responses to it have been split from the Horse Meat: Sourcing, Preparing, Eating topic, to keep  that discussion focused.

17 hours ago, teonzo said:

Here in Italy, mostly in Veneto and Puglia, horse meat is a strong tradition. One of my uncles had a trattoria that specialized in horse meat. When you enter a bar in the Venice area then you can bet all the money in your wallet that you'll find horse meat in one of their tramezzini, usually with "sfilacci" (thin threads of dried horse meat).
There are many farms that breed horses just for the meat. As there are many farms that breed rabbits. Most foreigners get upset when they learn we eat horses and rabbits.
Personally I really like horse meat, but I haven't eaten it in the last few years. I cut my meat consumption to 1 serving per week, I don't like the horse meat sold by the butchers near here, so I'm not going to do 10 km just for a serving of horse meat. I'll put it in the list of things to do when this lockdown will be over.

Teo

Well said. Rabbit has jus been legalized to be sold in my area this year. I picked up a whole Rabbit, and can't wait to make a dish. I wanted to make Rabbit for easter but a a bunch of  family members don't like mustard on anything. And apparently mustard based rabbit is a the go to in french cuisine. Back to the drawling board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rotuts said:

@teonzo  

but rabbit !

Beware: if you go to Vicenza and ask for rabbit, then you will be served cat! This is a running joke in Veneto, there are feuds between every city, so the guys in Vicenza are called "magnagati" (cat eaters) by all the other people in Veneto. It is said that cat's meat tastes really similar to rabbit, so when someone says "coniglio alla vicentina" (rabbit in the Vicenza way) then he is joking about a dish with cat's meat.

This joke is based on dramatic roots, since during the world wars people really ate cats (not only in Vicenza, but in most Italy) because there was nothing else left to eat.The most desperate ended up eating rats too, my grandmother lived through both world wars and she recounted some really sad stories. If you ask to people who went to North Korea you will be told they've never seen a single bird flying there, people ate all of them by desperation.

But this does not mean there aren't "extreme" people here. When I worked in a restaurant one of the customers was a so called "gourmet" (meaning he had the money, but couldn't discern a potato from a chicken). He always asked for the weird stuff, like chicken tripe (takes MANY chickens to make a single serving of chicken tripe, we joked we killed a whole hen-house for him), beef esophagus and so on. Once we asked him to tell some of the weirdest things he tried. He said he was able to find a restaurant willing to prepare a dish with cat's meat and tried that. He asked us if we were willing to find and prepare hedgehog. We said we would do our best (in his dreams).

Teo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Teo

6 hours ago, FeChef said:

Rabbit has jus been legalized to be sold in my area this year. I picked up a whole Rabbit, and can't wait to make a dish. I wanted to make Rabbit for easter but a a bunch of  family members don't like mustard on anything. And apparently mustard based rabbit is a the go to in french cuisine.

I posted some traditional Italian recipes for rabbit here:

Teo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teo

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, billyhill said:

This thread has me flashing back to my last rabbit meal at Frank Stitt's Bodega. Pappardelle pasta with rabbit, kale and white beans and a wonderful jus. 

Rabbits, chickens and the garden play a large role in my retirement planning. 

I've got the garden and the rabbits; chickens hopefully will happen in the spring. Retirement, now.. that's not looking so likely.

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning