• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How To Store Individual Chocolates In A Box

DJ Silverchild

This is for cannabis infused truffles which require special child proof packaging.

We hand wrap up to 2000 bon bons per week and it's crushing my expenses.

For environmental reasons, we are switching from plastic bags to cardboard boxes. It would be a lot less expensive if I had a divider in the box, and I could put each truffle in a cavity without foil or paper cups. I would then put each box in an eco-friendly bag. This could be a very significant savings.

I don't want a custom plastic tray.

Is there special papers or inks I should be looking at?

packaging companies here market boxes with inserts specifically as chocolate boxes, for example: https://www.packqueen.com.au/6chocolateboxes

I imagine the options outside of Australia are probably endless!

I'm not sure that a box is cheaper than a bag tbh! But if you're saving on labour expenses, then it might be worth it. Those boxes come flat-packed so assembly is required but I think I can probably fold a six pack box faster than someone can wrap 6 truffles...

What's the child proofing that's required? 

Something that you can't open single-handedly? Or something sealed shut (with a heat sealer) that requires scissors or a sharp edge to open? 

Could you merely tape the sides of those 6-insert boxes - is that considered child-proof?  I'm not around little children much lately but they are pretty inquisitive and inventive when they have to be ;)

7 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I'm not around little children much lately but they are pretty inquisitive and inventive when they have to be

Yep... if a child has a difficult time opening it, there's almost zero chance an adult can. :D I'm curious myself what the actual rules are regarding what's considered child proof. It's not something I've ever thought of in terms of chocolate but with the legalization of the cannabis market, it suddenly becomes a factor for some. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

57 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

if a child has a difficult time opening it

...then he will find where your welding torch is (even if you did not know to have one) and use it to open it (and for other uses nobody could dream possible).

Teo

• Haha 1

Teo

It looks like there's some type of divider already in place, in that box.  What if you took pre-cut deli paper or food grade tissue paper and made sort of a trough with it (so it covers both valleys in the box and just slides over the top of the divider); then you could simply put three truffles on each side?

Or put them in a paper cup meant for mini cupcakes or confections (depending on the size of the piece) and no tissue....?