• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I finally opened my pasta machine...

Kim Shook

36 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I temporarily permanently borrowed my mom's viking pro 7 qt, along with the meat grinder and sausage maker attachment.  I don't think the brands are compatible without some sort of adapter. I'll just run oats through my vitamix or grinder, no big.   Actually.. hmmm... I wonder if the indian wet grinder would work for something dry, just in short bursts? That does squishing and sheering action.  Hmmm!

The attachments are not compatible between brands.  That's why I use KitchenAid attachments with the KitchenAid and Ankarsrum attachments with the Ankarsrum.

The Premier grinder does quite well for grinding powdered sugar.  Though you will be finding powdered sugar in crevices you didn't know your kitchen had.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Toliver – Jessica and I were discussing that very thing (the motor) and I’m torn.  Will I really use the machine enough to justify the additional expense?  I know it would help move things along and free up my hand (and hopefully not fall out and crush my foot🙄), so I’d probably use the pasta machine more.  A judgement call I don’t think I can make yet.

I have the motorised drive and it is great. It is a time and effort saver. Added bonus is that you don't have to clamp the machine down while using it.

When I purchased my motor drive, I worked out that I had a very old version of the pasta machine which didn't have the additional holes to which the motor attaches. I wound up having to purchase another pasta machine as well as the motor drive.

• Haha 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I made lasagna tonight using the KitchenAid attachment.

Lasagna04082020.png

Dinner04082020.png

I could have used about four more sheets of pasta.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, jedovaty said:

@Kim Shook I've made a lot of pasta as a "home cook" just for myself, and I prefer the mix of 00 or a lower-protein all purpose with higher % of durum (e.g. bob's red mill). 

Here are three videos that I've shared with a few friends and co-workers recently who are new to pasta making, and all found them super helpful.  I wish I could find the original, full Jamie Oliver video video - it was pivotal in inspiring me to learn how to cook :)

Quick pasta by Jamie Oliver, the keep it simple method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi5SkWXeBM

Full technique if you are into learning details (the flour she recommends is expensive and just stick with easy to get stuff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_fu5RaXMVk

and finally hand shaping without the machine, this is a lot of fun, even if a bit long :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-3-8itpjc

Enjoy and have fun :)

That BA video was incredible. The anolini looked divine. 

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Flowers from my farmers' market guy last two weeks, so the bunch on the right have been in the pot for 11 days.

Second serving of fresh pasta for tonight. Have a few roasted tomatoes left from last night. I've still got a lot of vegetables left from Saturday's market, oh là là! Am thinking about @Shelby's zucchini carpaccio. Anything I can do with corn?

• Like 1

So, I made the second pasta dish for dinner here

King Arthur Flour wrote that pasta should be dried 12 to 24 hours. Night One the pasta rested for only about 2 hours. The pasta took maybe 4 or 5 minutes to cook.

I left the pasta out overnight; in the morning, the counter was a mess of broken strands (they had broken in the middle).

I just put them in a bowl (piled high) and cooked them tonight. The pasta took maybe 8 to 10 minutes to cook.

It was good, but I don't know if it was as good as the day before.

So, do you always eat all of your pasta the first day? How do you preserve it for a day or two?

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

So, I made the second pasta dish for dinner here

King Arthur Flour wrote that pasta should be dried 12 to 24 hours. Night One the pasta rested for only about 2 hours. The pasta took maybe 4 or 5 minutes to cook.

I left the pasta out overnight; in the morning, the counter was a mess of broken strands (they had broken in the middle).

I just put them in a bowl (piled high) and cooked them tonight. The pasta took maybe 8 to 10 minutes to cook.

It was good, but I don't know if it was as good as the day before.

So, do you always eat all of your pasta the first day? How do you preserve it for a day or two?

When I last made dried pasta it all broke to pieces.  When you figure it out please let me know.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TdeV said:

I dry mine just to the "leather" stage, then bag and freeze it.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The Coronavirus lockdown has led to some interesting consequences. The other day there was a full page advertisement for pasta flour in our National newspaper, The Australian. Shows just how many people are now making their own pasta at home. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On 7/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I last made dried pasta it all broke to pieces.  When you figure it out please let me know.

As a small kid I helped great grandma make the soup noodles. Spread on a tea towel and the into our perforated tin (which I can not find!) They were hand cut and had egg. Nothing broke .  But they were fine cut so maybe that is the difference. 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

As a small kid I helped great grandma make the soup noodles. Spread on a tea towel and the into our perforated tin (which I can not find!) They were hand cut and had egg. Nothing broke .  But they were fine cut so maybe that is the difference. 

I have the problem with semolina pasta, no egg.  I have egg yolk pasta down pretty well.

About 50 years ago, my Paternal Grandmother came out from Indiana and stayed with us in San Diego. We still have the photo of her standing barefoot on the beach as the tide came in. It was the first time she had ever seen the Pacific Ocean.

While she was visiting she showed my mom how to make egg noodles from scratch. I still remember our kitchen table covered entirely with waxed paper and with the sliced egg noodles and lots of flour.

I don't recall my mom ever making them by herself after that. Decades later my mom would buy Grandma brand frozen egg noodles in the freezer section of the grocery store for her turkey noodle soup after Thanksgiving. Close enough, I guess. :wink:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver