• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I finally opened my pasta machine...

Kim Shook

...and frankly, I'm a little intimidated

pasta.thumb.jpg.5c440b688f761616a69766f9a1def660.jpg

and wondering if now is really the time to learn how to do this.  The recipe that goes with the machine only calls for AP flour and eggs, which I have.  But the directions also call for semolina flour for storing the pasta sheets.  No clue where I can get that.  My Kroger is out of everything in the flour department except for a couple of bags of self-rising.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It just helps keep them from sticking together, because it's a bit coarser and crumb-ier than regular flour. I've always just used AP to do that, but I suppose if you're paranoid you could use a mixture of flour and cornmeal. Just dust it off before you drop the pasta into a pot of boiling water.

It's a good machine. I used my Imperia for 25 years, and the only reason I don't still have it is that my kids used it and didn't clean it out before the little bits of dough crusted and dried on the inside. *THAT* wasn't the fatal part...the fatal part was when I got tired of the bits rattling around inside and took it apart for cleaning. Sadly, while I'm very good indeed at taking things apart, they sometimes never quite fit back together properly. This was one of those times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

nice to see an imperia. i have an atlas. 

I just do egg pasta - all purpose flour (king arthur) + eggs 

Ummmm...I did use it a lot in the beginning but haven't lately - even with Covid-19 permitting work to be remote from home 

hey. what will you make it for first? Maybe tagliatelle with Bolognese? Or a creamy alfredo?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, eugenep said:

hey. what will you make it for first? Maybe tagliatelle with Bolognese? Or a creamy alfredo?  

I'm hoping to make some sheets to make @David Ross's Meat Filled Cannelloni.  IF I can get all of the other ingredients.  If not, I'll figure something else out.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm hoping to make some sheets to make @David Ross's Meat Filled Cannelloni.  IF I can get all of the other ingredients.  If not, I'll figure something else out.  

Using a machine, making pasta is not hard.  Making pasta is not hard even without a machine.  I highly recommend the seriouseats recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fresh-egg-pasta.html

I use Molino 00 organic but a soft all purpose flour should be fine.  No need for semolina; however I just got an order of Molino semolina (as well as more 00) from supermarketitaly.  They may still have stock.  The instructions that came with your machine are probably sufficient.  Do be sure the dough is not too moist.  It should just come together.  The great question is whether you do three folds or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Using a machine, making pasta is not hard.  Making pasta is not hard even without a machine.  I highly recommend the seriouseats recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fresh-egg-pasta.html

I use Molino 00 organic but a soft all purpose flour should be fine.  No need for semolina; however I just got an order of Molino semolina (as well as more 00) from supermarketitaly.  They may still have stock.  The instructions that came with your machine are probably sufficient.  Do be sure the dough is not too moist.  It should just come together.  The great question is whether you do three folds or two.

Three and turn

@Kim Shook you can do it!!  I do.   You can use AP, eggs, a bit of olive oil and water.  I have a local place I get 00 flour but started on AP.

Have fun!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

You can do it Kim.

a kitchen scraper is essential to help bring the dough together.

use a water spray bottle to moisten your dough if it isn’t coming together.

be sure to rest the dough for at least 30 min. before rolling out.

👩‍🍳

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

You can do it Kim.

a kitchen scraper is essential to help bring the dough together.

use a water spray bottle to moisten your dough if it isn’t coming together.

be sure to rest the dough for at least 30 min. before rolling out.

👩‍🍳

Or do as I do and use the food processor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Or do as I do and use the food processor.

or as I do and use a fork in a bowl......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

15 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I can make mine on the counter with a fork and scrapper in less time than you can using the food processor, cleaning it out and drying it....just say’n.😎😎😬

Cuisinart goes in the dishwasher...does your counter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

🤐

we should move on, fear of the dreaded ...this post has been hidden...I started it, sorry.

I was hoping for a counter argument.

• Haha 7

Now in the morning I have to show you grandpa's custom dough board . Rests against counter snuggly and allows kneading. Clean up not even an issue. 50 years old :)  

• Like 3

Ok I’m in, I have a pasta machine that hasn’t been touched since I got it a couple of years ago.  Luckily I bought 00 flour in anticipation.  May have to wait until this weekend since I’m crazy busy at work.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks!  Hope it is delicious, er, I know it will be.

• Like 1

@Kim Shook I'm glad you finally opened the box :)  

When I remember to order it, I love this blend from King Arthur Flour.  I use the recipe on the back of the bag.  It's something like 3 cups of the flour, 4 eggs and a couple TB of water if needed to help the dough come together.  I do it in my stand mixer.  I realize in this time that 4 eggs is a lot.  I've cut the recipe in half before and it's worked fine.  However, when I make the whole batch, I only use about a 3rd of the dough for a meal for 2 of us and I can get at least 3 meals out of one batch.  I keep the remaining dough in the fridge  tightly wrapped in saran or sometimes I vac pac it.  Keeps for a week. 

Regarding the pasta flour above.  As of right now it's in stock, limit of 2 per order.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

Well, I've been thinking I need to haul out my pasta maker too...it's been a while since I used it! Thanks for the inspiration, @Kim Shook.

This is a good time to point out the eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) courses on stuffed pastas. The first one listed has a good tutorial on making pasta.

Stuffed Pastas

Stuffed Pastas, Part Two: Tortelli, Ravioli, and Cappelleti

Stuffed Pastas, Part Three: Pancotti, Tortelloni and Raviolo

This topic has recipes without pictures, to give inspiration on other things to do with pasta:

Pasta Around the Mediterranean

Finally, there is the eG Cook-Off #13: Fresh/Stuffed Pasta & Gnocchi.

Let's start this voyage of discovery, or rediscovery!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I would add my words of encouragement for making your own pasta.  It really is easy.  After two or three times it gets second nature.

And I quite like the recipe from one of the threads noted above:

400 g 00 flour
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1T oil
pinch salt

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Cuisinart is about 35.

As is mine, perhaps even a couple of years older. It was purchased at the beginning of the 80s in Edmonton and served 20+ years at a restaurant there before being replaced with a RoboCoupe, at which point it fell to me. I used it for my restaurants and farmer's market stall for a few more years, and now it's my domestic machine. I have a backup in case it ever fails, but I expect both will go to my grandkids in still-functioning condition.

Returning to the original topic of discussion, my biggest advice is to not overthink it. All of the recipes given upthread and in linked threads will work. All of the preparation methods will work. It's just a question of finding one you're comfortable with. I still make mine on the counter (old school!) but use my KitchenAid attachment now to do the rolling.

I generally use whole eggs, AP flour and no oil in mine, but I've also done extra-yolks for filled pasta because I find it's easier to work with. YMMV.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I generally use whole eggs, AP flour and no oil in mine, but I've also done extra-yolks for filled pasta because I find it's easier to work with. YMMV.

I was wondering about the extra-yolk element and what it did. Right now I'd prefer not to use eggs more than necessary, lest I be unable to find them for other purposes later. By "easier to work with" do you mean it provides extra flexibility?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown