• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary opportunities related to Covid-19

Though some folks have been here since 2001, perhaps many don't know that eGullet was born in the shadow of another catastrophe, that of the 9/11/2001 attacks on the US. Today, we face another challenge. I won't indulge in the fashionable series of dark superlatives that describe the situation that confronts the world today. Instead, we'd like to start a topic that highlights the efforts of individuals and organizations that propose to support our membership with extraordinary offerings. That membership includes cooks, for both sweet and savory concoctions; chefs, for both sweet and savory productions; the polymathic food-adventurous; and above all, advanced amateur cooks, who have always been the heart of our community.

If you or your organization are making such an offer, or if you know of such an offer, please post it here, keeping in mind that eG remains a politics-free zone. We will do what we can, but we cannot guarantee that any particular offer is legitimate, so buyer beware; this is the internet, after all.

Our thanks go out to all of you.

Oh look! @blue_dolphin has already posted something related: 

• Like 8

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Hi All,

I have an incredible offer that I’d like to share with you.  Chef Sebastien Canonne, M.O.F and I have created a new online pastry, baking, and cake decorating website called The Butter Book.

The subscription-based website is intended for both the home baker enthusiast and professional chefs.

The Butter Book’s content represents years of our work and experience, and also involves more than 16 Master Chefs educators.  A month ago, we launched the site with 150+ instructional recipe videos with an average duration of 5 minutes.  In addition, 1 to 2 new recipe videos are published each week.  That means by the end of 2020, the site will feature 200 videos!  The Butter Book also contains hundreds of chef tips, assessments, Q&A’s, an extensive glossary of over 4,000 technical terms and definitions.

One of our favorite features of this educational platform is our contributor’s articles written by influential chef experts from around the world, such as Jeffrey Hamelman, Jean Pierre Wybauw, and Christophe Michalak – to name a few.  Earlier this month, and in an effort of solidarity during the COVID-19 global crisis, we’ve made this website available to all, worldwide, for FREE and a no-strings-attached 60-day trial offer

We hope this offer helps all who are at home, the food enthusiasts, professional chefs, culinary educators, and their students.  Visit The Butter Book at:  https://www.thebutterbook.com/ for your free trial offer.

Chef Jacquy Pfeiffer

Co-Owner and Founder

The Butter Book 

The French Pastry School

Edited by Jacquy Pfeiffer (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Barrio Bread, a world-class bakery in Tucson, is currently offering video courses at a discount. So far there are two courses:

"How to Make Barrio Bread Pizza Crust" (Free!) and

"How to Make Whole-Grain Sourdough Bread" for half-price using the code FLATTENTHECURVE. This course is normally $30; with the discount it's $15. It can also be purchased as a gift to someone else.

I think the offer lasts until the end of April, but I've lost that information. I'm partway through the pizza crust course and I think the video instruction is good.

I have no affiliation with Barrio Bread, except as a very satisfied customer.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown