• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quarantine Comfort Food

fondue

Here's where the rubber hits the road: Going outside is prohibited unless absolutely neccessary.   What foods do you absolutely need to stay sane?

For me: Bleu d'Avergne or Papillion or Roquefort smeared on a baguette.  Eggs.  Basmati rice. 

You?

Whiskey

Wine (Red but if not then white)

Snacks to eat with above

(probably going to need AA after the pandemic, but its a small price to pay)

I am hoping after a strict diet of any/all of the above I will lose some weight and be healthier.

😀

• Haha 4

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Honestly, comfort has been a minor consideration with my just-in-case food prep. Being sure there's something to eat to cover me and my kid for an extended amount of time if necessary has been the idea so far. But I've gone about as far as I'm going with it at this point so maybe it's a good time to think about a few just-in-case comforts. If nothing else, I have probably somewhere in the 20 or so different bottles range of rum and all the assorted accompaniments that a decent tiki bar would have so that could provide a lot of comfort. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 hours ago, Bernie said:

Whiskey

Wine (Red but if not then white)

Snacks to eat with above

(probably going to need AA after the pandemic, but its a small price to pay)

I am hoping after a strict diet of any/all of the above I will lose some weight and be healthier.

😀

There must be a god and he must love me.

Or I may be a complete fool but sometime, just sometimes fools get lucky

https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.12444

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

Eyes fixated on my mai tai straw as we speak.  God gave us Wray and Nephew for a reason.  Without getting too far into religion I believe God gave us everything for a reason.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But do you want to be treated by emergency room staff who slur their words?

Slightly better odds that a whiskey breathing emergency room staff is not infected........

I like the odds...(particularly when I am probably slurring my words as well) 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

Back on Topic!

We have tried to eat as "normal" as possible. We had my famous beef wellington last night. The one concession to the lock down is that I am giving a lot more thought to portion control.

Because we will be doing a lot less physically, we have decided to make sure we adjusted our food intake (fuel in = fuel out) to adjust to the loss of normal calorie burn. Just the act of not going shopping as often is actually a significant reduction in exercise.

Its fine to think along the lines of "I am under stress...I need to eat lots of comfort food to take the stress levels down" but we will come out of this and I do not want to ruin my health by consistently overeating.

We are going to embark on a search of the recipes from our childhood (although we eat a lot better now with better and more varied ingredients) and get comfort from our memories.

• Like 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Back on Topic!

We have tried to eat as "normal" as possible. We had my famous beef wellington last night. The one concession to the lock down is that I am giving a lot more thought to portion control.

Because we will be doing a lot less physically, we have decided to make sure we adjusted our food intake (fuel in = fuel out) to adjust to the loss of normal calorie burn. Just the act of not going shopping as often is actually a significant reduction in exercise.

Its fine to think along the lines of "I am under stress...I need to eat lots of comfort food to take the stress levels down" but we will come out of this and I do not want to ruin my health by consistently overeating.

We are going to embark on a search of the recipes from our childhood (although we eat a lot better now with better and more varied ingredients) and get comfort from our memories.

One tip, Bernie, is to always question, when heading to the kitchen with snack in mind is to STOP at the door and ask, "Do I really want/need something to eat or do I really just need a glass of water."     90% of the time, the latter is the answer.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.