• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quarantine Comfort Food

fondue

Here's where the rubber hits the road: Going outside is prohibited unless absolutely neccessary.   What foods do you absolutely need to stay sane?

For me: Bleu d'Avergne or Papillion or Roquefort smeared on a baguette.  Eggs.  Basmati rice. 

You?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Toast.  Heavily buttered.

Me too!  I have baked more bread in the past couple of weeks than in the past couple of months.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

47 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Toast.  Heavily buttered.

And then treated to an updo. Options chez nous include:

home made marmalade,

sorghum and salt,

cinnamon sugar,

sorghum and salt with a smear of ricotta,

ricotta with salt and pepper and optional tomato slices.

Of course the ricotta these days depends upon a "tier two" trip to a specialty shop which means waiting until a list is long enough to justify it.

• Like 5

Coffee (even though I only drink one cup a day, it's an important one) and dairy in some solid/semi solid form (cheese or yogurt).

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Lime-flavored Tostitos (tortilla chips/crisps). I can eat the whole bag.

Hershey Symphony bars (milk chocolate with toffee chips & almonds). Sorry, chocolate connoisseurs.

If I could find my brand of ramen (Nongshim Black), I'd buy some right now. Sold out, currently.

Diet Coke in the plastic bottles.

• Like 1

Coffee yes, my preferred dark roast, espresso blend.  An extremely dense, black cocoa, sour cream cake, that is so dense it can be spread with cream cheese.

HPIM4716.jpg.3d1837f20d26110656ba403e15a42d61.jpg

HPIM4717.jpg.967b03e1212d7258d31805ad7fe5a4c4.jpg

Also acceptable with  homemade butter.

HPIM4721.jpg.75a37542ae0433b30ba10337c15363f4.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Oh yum, @andiesenji! Recipe, please?

I'm sorry but I don't really have a recipe.  I just mixed some stuff together.  I saw the title of a recipe when I was scrolling on a list of blogs and later thought that sounded good but I didn't look at the recipe.

• Sad 1

• Venison Meunière — thin pieces of venison coated with seasoned flour, pounded thinner, and fried in clarified butter. A family tradition. DEVINE!
  • Campfire toast slathered with butter and topped with chopped yolky egg. I love the very light smoky flavor.
  • Anything bacon!!! :biggrin:
  • Grilled steak with wild mushroom beurre monté.
  • Confits (duck, chicken, pork, turkey, bacon, etc.)
  • Potted Meats — various combinations of flavors.
  • Charcuterie of all kinds and various cheeses! 
  • Anything BBQ!
  • Classic fish and chips.
  • Plain New York style cheesecake.

And many more!!!

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 weeks later...

After making pineapple upside-down cake multiple times this week (I tell myself it's for my son, but who am I kidding?), I'm adding it to the list.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I am all over the place with comfort food.  I find I'm craving something, I make it for a few days but then tire of it and move on.  The only constant it seems is sauteed cremini mushrooms (I am buying 5# every other week to pad my order from the distributor), roasted broccoli, baked pasta (lasagne, baked ziti), tender boiled baby potatoes with butter and salt - and meatloaf (the recipe for Sister Helen's Meatloaf that appeared in the Ann Landers column about 40 years ago; I don't use the Accent and use half ground beef and half ground pork.  You don't really need the bacon but you do need the tomato sauce on the top)  until the husband announced he had eaten enough meatloaf to last the rest of the year ;)  Right now there's a frittata in the oven, which is tonight's comfort food.

Stay well, stay safe everyone.

• Like 6

Made me second chicken pot pie of quarantine today. Ultimate comfort food.

20200430_172234.thumb.jpg.7661a3a8eef8c6139a16424018a1ebd2.jpg

Had a crust mishap. I use boxed, refrigerated crusts, and this was the Aldi store brand and not Pillsbury. Tasted fine, but was much more brittle to work with.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I am all over the place with comfort food.

Me too!

A comprehensive list would be HUGE!!!

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My simple one is no knead bread toasted with a decent melted cheese and red pepper flakes (add a rom-com  and I am floating) Oh and a good cab helps

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

Last night I was eating wheat crackers scraped directly thru container of spreadable goat cheese. One after another.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

8 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Last night I was eating wheat crackers scraped directly thru container of spreadable goat cheese. One after another.

I ate a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers. Just Ritz crackers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've baked some bread recipes in the 3-pound bread machine but "tweaking" the recipe just a bit.

This is the "regular"  Number 1 on the menu with  a couple of changes.  4 1/2 cups of flour, instead of 5 1/2 cups(which hits the lid)  and a substitution there.

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 2/3 cup hot water

3 cups bread flour

1 1/2 cups  White Whole Wheat flour

4 Tablespoons dried WHOLE milk

4  Tablespoons  granulated sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Add these to the machine and let it run through the first LONG mix and knead action

PAUSE THE MACHINE  set a timer for 20 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 teaspoon ACTIVE DRY YEAST 

RESTART THE MACHINE.

Let it run through the next knead actions  until after the last one, when the machine timer should show 1:55 to 1:45 minutes left. No need to stop the machine.

Either pull the dough out of the pan or remove the pan and dump it out onto a floured or oiled surface or wide bowl.  

Remove the paddle or paddles.  Re-shape the dough and replace in the pan, return the pan to the machine.

let is finish the final rise and bake cycle.   You can barely see the little 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of this loaf.

My Friday loaf with the above substitutions.  Faintly sweet, toasts beautifully, tight, firm crumb for great sandwiches.

HPIM4745.jpg.60409bba4021daeb2f088744f864e106.jpg

HPIM4747.thumb.jpg.d2d09e8b2ba5733ccf6aad5646acb6eb.jpg

HPIM4748.thumb.jpg.b7c17801f719370418af6d28a6e1be7f.jpg

HPIM4746.jpg.36685c76c9367f15c2ecb4cfc8a51a24.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1