• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New options for online learning and socializing

blue_dolphin

I've been impressed recently as I watch people creating other ways to share their love of food and cooking in these days when in-person activities are curtailed or prohibited entirely so I'm starting this thread to call out and discuss some of the new options for online learning and social interactions.   I'd love to see what others have found.  

David Lebovitz had to cancel his book tour for his new book, Drinking French, and has been doing delightful Instagram Live "Happy Hour" posts.  They are live from Paris at 6 PM. Since that's 9 AM here, it's a bit early for even me to think of cocktails but he has them up on his regular feed so they can be enjoyed later - I've been "saving" them for a nightcap!  I think this is the first one and if you click on that "View Channel" button, you can see the rest.  Today is going to be a Chocolate Frappé. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to correct time (log)
  • Like 2

The Gourmandaise School in Santa Monica regularly offers a "Bread Camp" at this time of year and are now going to do it via Instagram with daily lessons from March 30-Apr5 and live Q&A on Tues, Thurs, & Fri @ 11AM PDT (see here for more info.)

Edited to add that the daily lessons are being loaded to their IGTV channel around 3 PM PDT, but are not live and can be watched at any time, in any order.  The Q&A sessions are live.  They said they would try to save them in a way they can be re-watched later.

Might be a good learning opportunity, even if flour and yeast are hard to come by right now. 

Apricot Lane Farms, the farm in the documentary, "The Biggest Little Farm," now available on Netflix, had to cancel all their school group tours and are doing an Instagram Live "Fridays on the Farm,"  geared to kids but good for all and available to watch after the fact via IGTV.  The first episode was a little bumpy but they seem to be getting it down.  They did at least one live IG cooking session but don't seem to be saving those so I would not post about that aspect.

Samin Nosrat, author of Salt Fat Acid Heat, has started a podcast with Hrishikesh Hirway, available through the usual podcast carriers called, "Home Cooking."  The first episode was very easy listening, if not a real learning experience, but I do enjoy her upbeat personality. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 3

I wonder of David L's cocktails are good tasting and not too complicated (or if it is, is it worth the effort)? 

Ummm...I'm afraid to go to the grocery stores that much so I buy a lot and eat a lot of leftovers so - ironically - not that much cooking even though Im' home 24 hrs a day owing to remote work at home. 

I take online classes on Coursera in maths and computer science stuff. I get a certificate of completion for each class and do dream of continuing in a masters degree online part-time one day in maths and computer science.

I guess we'll see 🙂

• Like 1

Rumor has it our own gfron1 has also been doing some chocolate online as well. 

https://www.facebook.com/Gfron1.Rob.Connoley

I'm looking at that EZtemper in the background - maybe we can talk him into using it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I'm following a lot of mostly french chef's on instagram there has been a lot of recipe posting and videos during the confinment. I'm guessing that will slow down as Chefs get back to work.

Some of my favorites include:

Nina Metayer

Francois Perret

Stephane Buron

Frederic Anton

David Bizet

Jerome Banctel

Juan Arbelaez

Jean Fracois Piege

Of course others as well. I'd love to other good follows! Especially any Spanish or Japanese Chefs. Lol I have a folder of screen capture recipes on my phone for inspiration. Some of the IGTV stuff is really good. Le Fooding is a great follow as well