• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wood Fired Oven Substitute?

Kim Shook

This probably belongs in the dumb questions thread.  Is there any way with either a gas grill or Weber vertical smoker to duplicate or at least approach what a wood fired oven does?  I've become enamored of the idea of roasting a goose and duck fat rubbed chicken by wood fire.  

• 8 months later...

Hi Kim, that's great idea, and you don't need a wood oven or bbq. You can roast (in its most pure form) in front of a fire. Take your chicken or duck, jam a skewer through the body and attach it with string to a pole in the ground about a foot from the fire. Twist the string around, and you have a rotisserie that will allow the bird to cook evenly. Simple, so long as you have access to a fire pit. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 3.59.30 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Oh @Kim Shook what have you been reading/viewing that has you "all wood fired up"  We have a raised "pit" but the only cut & split wood on site is eucalyptus. Bit smelly. Have you considered the Weber and wood chips? - fire off to side.  Bird positioned vertically and turned once or twice? Not as romantic or primal but in suburbia.... 

17 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh @Kim Shook what have you been reading/viewing that has you "all wood fired up"  We have a raised "pit" but the only cut & split wood on site is eucalyptus. Bit smelly. Have you considered the Weber and wood chips? - fire off to side.  Bird positioned vertically and turned once or twice? Not as romantic or primal but in suburbia.... 

LOL!  I wrote this in March and my poor Pandemic battered brain can NOT remember what it was I saw that made me ask this question (it had to be a show I watched).  I had completely forgotten this post until you and @Violin_guy responded to it.  It sounds really good, though😄!  We don't have a fireplace or firepit, so I'm thinking that Mr. Kim needs to rig up his smoker like @chileheadmike suggested.  Kroger sells duck fat in jars, so the goods shouldn't be hard to come by.  

• Like 1