• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef 2020

gfweb

I thought the wrong person was tossed, but it was a photo finish.

My biggest impression was that the hugging and kissing stuck out like a sore thumb with this Wurona virus deal.  Who'd've thought it a couple weeks ago.

• Like 2

My DH who isn't a foodie quite enjoyed it especially the very chaotic quick fire challenge.  I agree, the wrong person got tossed..not the first time.

It was interesting to see J. Tower as a judge.  

Cooking over a fire would be very challenging but who the hell pours oil onto fish when it is on the grill...that alone deserved an ejection.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My DH who isn't a foodie quite enjoyed it especially the very chaotic quick fire challenge.  I agree, the wrong person got tossed..not the first time.

It was interesting to see J. Tower as a judge.  

Cooking over a fire would be very challenging but who the hell pours oil onto fish when it is on the grill...that alone deserved an ejection.

Oil on the fish was deeply stupid. She will be gone soon.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Good. Been through each season multiple times and still, on completing, I get deeply bummed.

Oh, and:

1.  Padma called my bread “beautiful” once, in a tweet.

2.  I exchanged with Tom a bit, on the epochal topic of Gilroy garlic.

My life is complete.

• Haha 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

18 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

Good. Been through each season multiple times and still, on completing, I get deeply bummed.

Oh, and:

1.  Padma called my bread “beautiful” once, in a tweet.

2.  I exchanged with Tom a bit, on the epochal topic of Gilroy garlic.

My life is complete.

Yea, I used to get bummed when a season ended too.  My favorite show for so many years.  Got as far season 14 but then I can't remember why I didn't continue.  Maybe I'll see if I can stream 15-17.  If you had to pick one?

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Yea, I used to get bummed when a season ended too.  My favorite show for so many years.  Got as far season 14 but then I can't remember why I didn't continue.  Maybe I'll see if I can stream 15-17.  If you had to pick one?

Oh god, impossible, lol!  A lot of them I’m so fond of some of the chefs and so I get bummed when they get eliminated.  I also get pissed when one of my faves loses to the wrong chef (imo, of course 😁.  Seasons 2 and 11...).  

Season 11, Nick winning didn’t sit at all well.  Soft spot for Stephanie, Nina too.  Sad thing is, Nick was chef de cuisine for Georges Perrier at Le Bec-Fin, before it closed.

Which brings up a point.  I’m so often blown away by the pedigree many of these chefs have, only to cook so poorly on the show.  Or tanks a relationship with mentors, e.g. season 8, J’en and Eric Ripert.  Yikes! )

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

2 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

Oh god, impossible, lol!  A lot of them I’m so fond of some of the chefs and so I get bummed when they get eliminated.  I also get pissed when one of my faves loses to the wrong chef (imo, of course 😁.  Seasons 2 and 11...).  

Season 11, Nick winning didn’t sit at all well.  Soft spot for Stephanie, Nina too.  Sad thing is, Nick was chef de cuisine for Georges Perrier at Le Bec-Fin, before it closed.

Which brings up a point.  I’m so often blown away by the pedigree many of these chefs have, only to cook so poorly on the show.  Or tanks a relationship with mentors, e.g. season 8, J’en and Eric Ripert.  Yikes! )

Nick is very successful in Philadelphia. Occasionally has appearances with Perrier. He's doing fine. 

What is this tanking with Ripert? 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Nick is very successful in Philadelphia. Occasionally has appearances with Perrier. He's doing fine. 

What is this tanking with Ripert? 

That’s good to hear. I didn’t agree with the ultimate call, but he’s clearly a gifted chef.  King Georges is a fantastic look at the two of them, you’ve probably seen it.

Edit:  Ripert, sorry.  I’d read in some sources that they’d had a falling out as a result of her losing it on elimination.  I regret mentioning it as a bit gossipy.  I see they’ve been together in interviews and events since.  

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Watching season 3 as we write.  Tre, a strong fave of mine, eliminated last night.  

My my wife actually worked with Dale at a Chicago spot.  He was bartending in a sort of breather.  He’d been on the show by then, but couldn’t talk.  Trippy to see him on the show. 

• Like 1

-Paul

We are fan favourities of the show.  I decided to have a look back at the shows and was saddened to see that three chefs who had appeared on Top Chef have died: Floyd Cardozo, Aaron Grissom and one I liked very much, Fatima Ali.  She was only 29 and had this huge smile.  Very sad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We are fan favourities of the show.  I decided to have a look back at the shows and was saddened to see that three chefs who had appeared on Top Chef have died: Floyd Cardozo, Aaron Grissom and one I liked very much, Fatima Ali.  She was only 29 and had this huge smile.  Very sad.

Oh god, I didn’t about Floyd and Aaron.

Fatima’s passing ripped a hole...like you I was smittened by her a great deal.  Seeing her so ill and reading some of her final words, knowing she and Padma had become good friends through to her death was all so bittersweet, stings every time to see such a beautiful life gone.  

In a different way, a hole opens up every time we see Tony Bourdain.  God we miss him too, and still don’t fully get it that he’s gone.  Such a force of wild nature, who closed the world’s strangeness to itself.

Peace to their memories.  

• Like 1

-Paul

1 hour ago, paul o' vendange said:

That’s good to hear. I didn’t agree with the ultimate call, but he’s clearly a gifted chef.  King Georges is a fantastic look at the two of them, you’ve probably seen it.

Edit:  Ripert, sorry.  I’d read in some sources that they’d had a falling out as a result of her losing it on elimination.  I regret mentioning it as a bit gossipy.  I see they’ve been together in interviews and events since.  

I've eaten a lot of Georges' food. I miss Le Bec. I've yet 5o eat Elmi chow. Can't get a table. Lol

• Delicious 1

I think I gave up probably about season 10. I just couldn't take it any more. Maybe too many commercials, maybe too many tatts. I dunno.

However, JT has always been a favorite of mine, and if I could watch it without commercials...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, lindag said:

That's what DVRs are for.

Do you believe that in all the years of cable TV in this apt.(18), there has not been one single program DVRd. I don't even know if we had a DVR within our cable service, but now that we've "cut the cord," it appears that we can save whatever we want, somewhere in the clouds.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Anything we watch that isn't just a random "oh hey, what's that?" is recorded. I hate sitting through commercials, so I don't.

I've never been one for "appointment television"...for a couple of decades I just didn't watch TV, full stop. Now I do, thanks to streaming and full-season drops (yay, Netflix, boo Disney+). I don't mind watching the odd plot-free program (ie, home-reno shows) or movie that's recorded, so I can skip the commercial breaks. I only have so much time available, after all.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Anything we watch that isn't just a random "oh hey, what's that?" is recorded. I hate sitting through commercials, so I don't.

I've never been one for "appointment television"...for a couple of decades I just didn't watch TV, full stop. Now I do, thanks to streaming and full-season drops (yay, Netflix, boo Disney+). I don't mind watching the odd plot-free program (ie, home-reno shows) or movie that's recorded, so I can skip the commercial breaks. I only have so much time available, after all.

Ditto.

• Like 1