• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooked coppa

Grishna

Coppa is a classic italian delicacy of matured cured meat. Not as widely known as prosciutto and, in my opinion, not  justifiably. The curing time takes weeks, as it should

for a well matured and multilayered flavour. Good things come to those who wait, but while you do, why not treat yourself to a quick fix  of cooked coppa? Here is what I do:

• Salt the meat in 2% dry rub (nitrate salt and regular salt 50/50) in a vacuum bag for 5 days;
  • Rub dry herbs and spices (whatever comes to mind). The meat will be sticky, so it's easy;
  • Cook on rack above a tray in the oven on fan setting at 80 celcius to internal temperature 67 celsius.  This will take a couple of hours. When internal temperature reaches 60 -ish I add some boiling water in the tray to speed up the heat delivery;
  • Cool in the fridge overnight;
  • Enjoy.

This is a seriously moreish ham.

IMG_8497.jpg