• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that pastry

pastryani

As I set aside the day’s events and all that’s going on in the world, I go to my happy place which is all things baking and chocolate.  I was thinking of a pastry I saw on Instagram once but didn’t get its name.  I tried googling it but was unable to find what I was looking for, so I was hoping someone here might know what it was. 🙃

-it’s a yeasted and likely enriched dough

-it is shaped into a flat round disc, usually about 6” in diameter 

-in that disc there are 5 or 6 indentations made, and I *think* that sugar cubes are inserted into the divots that later melt, but it could also be pastry cream

Any idea what this is called?  If someone identifies it, I’ll google a recipe and then stress eat it. 😛

Stay safe, everyone!

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

It doesn't look familiar to me but it sure looks good!

It looks very familiar to me but with a very different name. If I come up with it I will post. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, pastryani said:

Well I found a picture and the site calls it “milk brioche”, but I don’t see a lot of similar pics using that name.  Does this look familiar to anyone?

64BD3A36-F6F1-4392-B31C-3E8F774B58D1.jpeg.f1184959223f04cdd8870a12e431c8f9.jpeg

(from http://mangez-moi.fr/milk-brioche/)

This reminds me of mini round focaccia we used to get back home in Italy, more like focaccia Genovese. To me looks like the picture doesn't match the name. That is definitely not a tarte but a raised dough, probably brushed and sugared on top.

Edited by Desiderio (log)
  • Like 2

Vanessa

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

If you're anything like me, you will remember clearly at 3am.

It did not come to me in the night but it did come to me this morning via Mr. Google. I am thinking of Eccles cake. Quite obviously not the same thing but I sure would like one right about now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, ElsieD said:

This translates to sugar pie which is big in the province of Quebec(and maybe elsewhere in Canada) but it is regular pie with a pastry crust.  Where did you find your recipe?

Here's a link to one of the recipes, but there are many:

https://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes/tarte-au-sucre-quebecoise-255638

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Anna N said:

It did not come to me in the night but it did come to me this morning via Mr. Google. I am thinking of Eccles cake. Quite obviously not the same thing but I sure would like one right about now. 

I’d love a good eccle....

• Like 1