• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

15 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Sorry -

King oyster mushrooms.  No meat was harmed in the making of said sandwich.

Those things are great to play with and so cheap.. My first taste was at the Korean market from the sample ladies. Cut horizontally and sauteed in tiny bit of neutral oil and presented with soy sauce to dip w/ bit of wasabi mixed in. Addictive. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well I had a @JoNorvelleWalker moment today.  No limes to be found at the store.  Not a stitch of TP or paper towels either.  So weird.

Well the curve is on the rise so...   As eGers we do learn to creatively substitute (limes not TP).  At "New Year Resolution" time Food 52 had a piece on reducing your paper towel habit. I am an over-user.  https://food52.com/blog/24715-how-to-stop-using-paper-towels

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Sorry -

King oyster mushrooms.  No meat was harmed in the making of said sandwich.

I was going to say Jackfruit, based on the texture. I'm not a fan, ever since our gardener on the coast brought us a big one. It's really really sticky when you take it apart--I told my husband I felt as if I had rendered a pig (it was that big). Oil takes the stickiness off your hands and tools. We didn't really like it after all that trouble. I understand it's a meat substitute these days.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I was going to say Jackfruit, based on the texture. I'm not a fan, ever since our gardener on the coast brought us a big one. It's really really sticky when you take it apart--I told my husband I felt as if I had rendered a pig (it was that big). Oil takes the stickiness off your hands and tools. We didn't really like it after all that trouble. I understand it's a meat substitute these days.

I'm not usually a fan of jackfruit, but the way it's done in Yogyakarta, Indonesia is fantastic...  they call it gudeg.  The jackfruit is stewed with spices for hours, and it's served with beef skin that was slowly cooked in coconut milk and spices and also usually a piece of chicken cooked in coconut milk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Not a stitch of TP or paper towels either.

So I have to admit something here (hanging head).  I discovered contact free curbside pickup at the warehouse club and each time I've placed an order, I got a mega package of TP (32 rolls).  Apparently I lost track of just how many packages I'd gotten (you don't know until you place the order if everything in  your cart is in stock).  As my husband was carrying two (score!) packages into the house a few days ago, he remarked that we seem to have enough, why did I get more?  I replied that I only saw one package in the basement so this was to ensure I wouldn't have to deal with this in the winter, during a storm.  When he came back down to get the rest of the stuff, he drily commented that even if we used one roll of TP every three days, we now have enough for 480 days so I do not need to buy any more ;) 🤣

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

So I have to admit something here (hanging head).  I discovered contact free curbside pickup at the warehouse club and each time I've placed an order, I got a mega package of TP (32 rolls).  Apparently I lost track of just how many packages I'd gotten (you don't know until you place the order if everything in  your cart is in stock).  As my husband was carrying two (score!) packages into the house a few days ago, he remarked that we seem to have enough, why did I get more?  I replied that I only saw one package in the basement so this was to ensure I wouldn't have to deal with this in the winter, during a storm.  When he came back down to get the rest of the stuff, he drily commented that even if we used one roll of TP every three days, we now have enough for 480 days so I do not need to buy any more ;) 🤣

Don't hang your head!  I want people to be stocked up!  Truly!  I am buying one large pack of each once a month.  I don't need any.  I just remarked because I can't believe they still haven't gotten on top of supply and demand.  I only go down those isles to see if there is any.....when there is some, it makes me feel better.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

I didn't want to be one of those hoarding TP and apparently I am!  Without even trying  LOL.

Nope, you're just prepared.  Hoarding is buying every pack off the shelf at once.

• Like 2

The ultimate in "no contact" shopping...there's a little farm on the way to my dentist that has an honor box and puts out tomatoes and whatever else he harvests in season. Little structure at the end of his driveway, maybe a chicken coop in a past life. Folding table, metal box with a slot in top to insert bills. Nail in the side of the structure holding plastic bags. I grabbed a plastic bag from my car and for $5 got 2 large tomatoes, a generous pint of various types of cherry tomatoes, and 3 little eggplants (so cute, they were all sort of curved like question marks). He had several varieties of peppers (hot and mild) and a pint container of something that looked like it might have been Thai eggplants, but they weren't marked with a name so I took a pass. I am in full tomato gorging (not hoarding) mode right now.

• Like 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

53 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

The ultimate in "no contact" shopping...there's a little farm on the way to my dentist that has an honor box and puts out tomatoes and whatever else he harvests in season. Little structure at the end of his driveway, maybe a chicken coop in a past life. Folding table, metal box with a slot in top to insert bills. Nail in the side of the structure holding plastic bags. I grabbed a plastic bag from my car and for $5 got 2 large tomatoes, a generous pint of various types of cherry tomatoes, and 3 little eggplants (so cute, they were all sort of curved like question marks). He had several varieties of peppers (hot and mild) and a pint container of something that looked like it might have been Thai eggplants, but they weren't marked with a name so I took a pass. I am in full tomato gorging (not hoarding) mode right now.

Love it.

One of the reasons I want to move out of the city.  Finds like that.

I will make do - for now!

Interesting about the Jackfruit, as I have heard as you mentioned that many are using it as a meat substitute.  Quite frankly I have no qualms with meat, in proper moderation - I just happen to love mushrooms (get a real good sear on them and they are very meaty-like!) and pulled pork sandwiches - while enjoying them often would be nice, this is a far healthier and arguably equally tasty option.  The this slice of Black Krum (mine are Krum's  - not Krim's!) was icing on the cake.

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

One of the reasons I want to move out of the city.  Finds like that.

In this major metropolis we have everything. Roosters wake me up. Bernard Ibarra at Terranea harvests sea salt off the peninsula, our Japanese farmers pioneered dry farming. The list goes on.  Sorry - I love this strange place. Example https://www.terranea.com/resort/farm-to-terranea

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

I have a lot of toilet paper as well. I've always had a lot, but kicked it up a notch with Covid. I don't call it "hoarding"; I call it "stockpiling." That said, I think I overdid it with the TP and can relax for a while.

I also stocked up on bulk steel-cut oats. I know a lot of people don't like touching the bins & scoops, but I like the oats in bulk better than what I can get prepackaged. So far, I have survived.

Edited by MokaPot
To stay on topic of food (log)

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

I have a lot of toilet paper as well. I've always had a lot, but kicked it up a notch with Covid. I don't call it "hoarding"; I call it "stockpiling." That said, I think I overdid it with the TP and can relax for a while.

I also stocked up on bulk steel-cut oats. I know a lot of people don't like touching the bins & scoops, but I like the oats in bulk better than what I can get prepackaged. So far, I have survived.

At the pandemic I stocked up on oat groats and I process them as needed.  I also stocked up on farro only to discover I am not that fond of farro.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Inspired by @weinoo's heirloom bowls, a new cutting board and Lamson ulu knife...

Ulu08112020.png

Strangely the knife came with a cancer and reproductive health advisory.  Now, granted, the ulu is a woman's knife.  Traditionally for skinning seals, cutting children's hair, food prep, and building igloos, it is also used for self defense.  OK, so I see the possible adverse effect on reproduction.  But why the cancer warning?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Inspired by @weinoo's heirloom bowls, a new cutting board and Lamson ulu knife...

Ulu08112020.png

That thing looks, well, scary dangerous. I'm glad my grandmother never skinned a seal.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

That thing looks, well, scary dangerous. I'm glad my grandmother never skinned a seal.

(shrug) My grandmother skinned her share, but never with an ulu. :P

The old-timers favored flipper pie, but personally I'm fond of seal liver. Haven't had it in years, mind you.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ulu08112020.png

Strangely the knife came with a cancer and reproductive health advisory.  Now, granted, the ulu is a woman's knife.  Traditionally for skinning seals, cutting children's hair, food prep, and building igloos, it is also used for self defense.  OK, so I see the possible adverse effect on reproduction.  But why the cancer warning?

Nice! Someone brought me one from Alaska but I can't find it. It came with a bowl.  We had a controversy here recently about the warnings. Maybe the product used as a sealant is on the "caution list".   https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-23/prop-65-product-warnings

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice! Someone brought me one from Alaska but I can't find it. It came with a bowl.  We had a controversy here recently about the warnings. Maybe the product used as a sealant is on the "caution list".   https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-23/prop-65-product-warnings

LA Times wouldn't let me view the story.  I don't think Lamson uses any sealant.  Also the warning label didn't say anything about California.  I may write Lamson and ask.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

LA Times wouldn't let me view the story.  I don't think Lamson uses any sealant.  Also the warning label didn't say anything about California.  I may write Lamson and ask.

That make sense to ask. I know you are on the other coast. This is our standard warning and the issue was "over - warning" makes people treat it like white noise. Liability issue.

Proposition 65 requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. 

• Like 1

I just had the strangest thing happen with my Wegman's delivery.  When you place an online order, you can go back and add items to the order until your shopper starts to work on it.  I have done this every time I have ordered with no issues.  Last night, I added bananas to my order.  This morning, I got the usual text that "Sara H" was working on the order.  About 20 minutes I got another text that "Peter B" was working on the order.  I figured it was a glitch (this has happened before) and did not give it another thought.  Nope.  "Sara H" dropped off my order with no bananas.  About five minutes later, "Peter B" dropped off my order.  All of the same food that "Sara H" dropped off, with the addition of bananas.  Luckily it was not a huge order, and I will use all of the doubled items eventually.  The extra chicken can go in the freezer.  That said, coming up with a use for four bunches of cilantro and four bottles of buttermilk might prove a bit challenging.  

It will be interesting to see if I am charged twice.  I would assume so, but who knows?

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

It will be interesting to see if I am charged twice.  I would assume so, but who knows?

Instacart has never double charged me when they screw up. Hope same for Wegmans

ive been getting a lot of items from Target.com.

cans of this , and that.

there was an article in the WSJ very recently that Target is using store space to 

fill orders locally.  they come by UPS

and its become quite popular.  unfortunately , the cans are added to boxes that are too

large , w a roll of that large bubble wrap.   the cans band around.

recently one order had one of the 'pop' top cans damaged and that pop pushed in.

I tossed the can , and cleaned off a few other cans and took it in stride.

a recent order  had several cans s the Pop pushed in , and it was quite a mess

i called and they credited me for the whole order , no problem

but had no way to mention this to my local store.   I buy 10 cans at a time of

A , B , C etc.  that's te ax these days / order.    however , 12 cans would result in boxes that come to the store

in a plastic blister covering , and no damage would take place , and no food lost.

too bad they cant figure this out.  I dont like to waste food , and this seems like a problem

easily fixed w a little thoughtful attention.

BTW   Im finally all out of ChefBoyAreDee  spaghetti and meat balls.

was getting used to it w plenty of Penzey's amendments .  wont get any more i think

the canned lasagna   ( you read correctly ) is much better.

a sign of the times.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1