Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic


haresfur
 Share

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Tilt sideways (or have another glass or two!).  Veg Thai coconut curry on glass noodles 

I need glass noodles. I love how they absorb flavors. Slurpability a bonus. The pink plastic net bag ones? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Brother, can you spare a lime?

(Apologies to Yip Harburg.)

 

You seriously need a hook up to giant cheap bags of Mexican limes Thin skinned, fragrant, and juicy.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

 

You seriously need a hook up to giant cheap bags of Mexican limes Thin skinned, fragrant, and juicy.

In our neck of the woods, "cheap bags of Mexican limes" is a complete oxymoron. Relatively small bags (1 lb) is about $5

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@heidih I think our proximity to both Baja and the Mexican mainland, and the overall makeup of our population influence the availability and cost of Mexican produce.

 

ETA I still remember an acquaintance of mine who was raised in Orange County, then made her home in Virginia telling about going into a Mexican restaurant in Virginia. She ordered Chile Rellenos. The rellanos they served her were made with green bell peppers.  She was horrified and became hesitant to order ethic foods in places she didn't know after that.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@heidih I think our proximity to both Baja and the Mexican mainland, and the overall makeup of our population influence the availability and cost of Mexican produce.

 

Yss. Here usually $1 or less for the pound. I do miss my dwarf lime from couple houses ago . Unfortunately I am sensitive. Only one episode but it scared the laylights out of me https://www.healthline.com/health-news/beware-the-margarita-burn-this-summer#3

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@heidih I think our proximity to both Baja and the Mexican mainland, and the overall makeup of our population influence the availability and cost of Mexican produce.

 

ETA I still remember an acquaintance of mine who was raised in Orange County, then made her home in Virginia telling about going into a Mexican restaurant in Virginia. She ordered Chile Rellenos. The rellanos they served her were made with green bell peppers.  She was horrified and became hesitant to order ethic foods in places she didn't know after that.

 

 

Some years ago I asked the Oaxacan proprietor of an Oaxacan restaurant in Princeton, the small town to my south, where he sourced his Mexican ingredients.  Upper New York State he told me.  He added most of the residents of his town in Oaxaca now live in Princeton.

 

Having nothing to do with anything, the earrings I'm wearing at the moment are carved glass from Oaxaca.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, heidih said:

I need glass noodles. I love how they absorb flavors. Slurpability a bonus. The pink plastic net bag ones? 

No (I have those as well, but they are bean curd) - these ones were sweet potato starch noodles.  I love the chew on them.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope I didn't steal this from here. It has generated a lot of discussion on my fb: Do Americans understand the social importance of beans on toast? Toast or bread? Butter or no butter?

92891513_129231975335216_2730922674187403264_o.thumb.jpg.0186fbd0aa50277e3f455368fcc1156e.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, KennethT said:

In our neck of the woods, "cheap bags of Mexican limes" is a complete oxymoron. Relatively small bags (1 lb) is about $5


In my neck of the woods, when not on sale, and they're not on sale often, limes and lemons are both usually right at or just over a dollar each... that's per lemon or lime. Last trip to the store, lemons were $1.19 each and limes were $1.39 each.

  • Sad 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, haresfur said:

Do Americans understand the social importance of beans on toast? Toast or bread? Butter or no butter?


I'm in Canada and I don't think I've ever attached any importance to beans on toast... but I do like it. On toast. With butter. My late wife favored creamed peas on toast over beans.

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:


In my neck of the woods, when not on sale, and they're not on sale often, limes and lemons are both usually right at or just over a dollar each... that's per lemon or lime. Last trip to the store, lemons were $1.19 each and limes were $1.39 each.


Wow, here I can get limes at 28 cents and lemons at 52 cents a piece.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2020 at 6:41 AM, Shelby said:

😳  Who knew????  I never would have thought of this.  Thank you!  I won't tell a soul.

Whoops...so I went to my local Walmart neighborhood grocery store to check the pizza kits for yeast. Sadly, while they have the yeast, it is pre-mixed into the pizza flour.

Though I am sure at a real ¬¬ grocery store there may be more brands of pizza kits available and some of them may have separate yeast packages.

I remember my mom always using Apian Way brand roll mix for her pizza dough.It was a hot roll mix that came in a small light blue box, similar in size to the Jiffy boxes. I know it wasn't Jiffy because my mom bought Jiffy only for their cornbread, I tried Googling for that brand of hot roll mix and got zero results (spelled with one "p" and with 2 "p"'s). I know it had yeast in the flour mix because to this day when I smell yeasted bread dough rising, I drool like one of Pavlov's dogs. xD

Sorry if I misled you. Though you could just add the flour (with its pre-mixed yeast) to your bread flour...but then you're getting all of that other chemical crap they put in their baking mixes.

Sorry! :(

 

  • Like 2

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Toliver said:

Whoops...so I went to my local Walmart neighborhood grocery store to check the pizza kits for yeast. Sadly, while they have the yeast, it is pre-mixed into the pizza flour.

Though I am sure at a real ¬¬ grocery store there may be more brands of pizza kits available and some of them may have separate yeast packages.

I remember my mom always using Apian Way brand roll mix for her pizza dough.It was a hot roll mix that came in a small light blue box, similar in size to the Jiffy boxes. I know it wasn't Jiffy because my mom bought Jiffy only for their cornbread, I tried Googling for that brand of hot roll mix and got zero results (spelled with one "p" and with 2 "p"'s). I know it had yeast in the flour mix because to this day when I smell yeasted bread dough rising, I drool like one of Pavlov's dogs. xD

Sorry if I misled you. Though you could just add the flour (with its pre-mixed yeast) to your bread flour...but then you're getting all of that other chemical crap they put in their baking mixes.

Sorry! :(

 

No no!  No need to be sorry!  I think it was a brilliant idea!  I love people that think outside the box.  I appreciate you trying to help :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's an upsetting article from The Guardian: large-scale farms geared for bulk shipments (restaurant supply, for instance) can't get their produce to the smaller markets and users where they're desperately needed. The crops and milk are going to waste instead. I see the logistical and packaging problems involved, thanks to the article, but it seems to me that this tragedy should be surmountable somehow.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/us-coronavirus-outbreak-agriculture-food-supply-waste

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It could be my imagination but I don't think so. I think I'm seeing a direct effect of the massive amount of grocery buying that is happening. The local store went a couple weeks with no brown sugar on the shelves. On my last trip there, they had it back in stock so I grabbed a couple bags of the dark stuff. I opened a bag yesterday for use in the sugar pies I made for today's dessert and I was pleasantly surprised by the heavy molasses aroma coming from the bag. It was super fresh and moist and flavorful. I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been more than a few days off the production line. I've never had complaints about the brown sugar I buy but I have a feeling I now will once things go back to normal. :P

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, haresfur said:

Hope I didn't steal this from here. It has generated a lot of discussion on my fb: Do Americans understand the social importance of beans on toast? Toast or bread? Butter or no butter?

92891513_129231975335216_2730922674187403264_o.thumb.jpg.0186fbd0aa50277e3f455368fcc1156e.jpg

 

It all mystifies me. Wouldn't touch it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chefs encourage thinking outside the box — even the KD box!
 

"I want to inspire people to expand their skills while they're at home right now and dig a little bit deeper if cooking has intimidated them in the past," Rajkumar said.

"The way that I manipulate ingredients, it inspires people to kind of think outside the box and take that Kraft Dinner or take that instant noodle or take that can of kidney beans and do something different with it."

Rajkumar is in good company these days, with master chefs like Italy's Massimo Bottura, Queer Eye's food and wine expert Antoni Porowski and Food Network celebrities like Ina Garten sharing recipes, demonstrations and connecting with hungry fans stuck at home amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Here.

Edited by Anna N
To hopefully fix the broken link. (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...