• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A man all too near here was arrested after intentionally coughing on a grocery store employee who asked him to keep social distance, as reported by The NY Times.  He faces seven years in prison and a $26,000 fine.  He may also face Federal terrorism charges.

While our current situation often brings out the best in people, it also highlights the worst (and the stupidity) of a small percentage of the population. That NY times article mentioned is here....https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/us/coronavirus-terrorism-nj.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

Yesterday, I was one of the first shoppers at the Essex Market; they've allotted the first hour of opening time to seniors and immuno-compromised individuals, asking others to please respect that.   So there was a young couple (no masks or gloves, so I imagine not compromised) happily shopping, and while I was paying for my produce, a senior came up right next to me and dropped his stuff on the counter, and which point I stage-whispered  said aloud: 'back off, idiot!" 

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yesterday, I was one of the first shoppers at the Essex Market; they've allotted the first hour of opening time to seniors and immuno-compromised individuals, asking others to please respect that.   So there was a young couple (no masks or gloves, so I imagine not compromised) happily shopping, and while I was paying for my produce, a senior came up right next to me and dropped his stuff on the counter, and which point I stage-whispered  said aloud: 'back off, idiot!" 

Meme:

"The devil whispered in my ear 'You are not strong enough to withstand the storm."

I answered, "Six feet back, motherf*****!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

33 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Meme:

"The devil whispered in my ear 'You are not strong enough to withstand the storm."

I answered, "Six feet back, motherf*****!"

You need Samuel L. Jackson for this....

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

So, I bought these bananas on March 19th.  This picture makes them look a tad yellow.  They are not.  They haven't ripened at all.  Ronnie thinks they forgot to spray them with whatever they spray them with to make that happen????  I dunno.  They are starting to get spots on the peels like they are going bad.

Can you fry green bananas like plantains???  Any ideas??  I don't wanna waste them.

IMG_7621.JPG.4d324cc818fd9259a22ea85c4f879c0f.JPG

• Delicious 1

I didn't know where to post this but somewhat pandemic related. Everyone posting about corned beef which I could leave forever got me thinking bout pastrami. So I called my dad the 97 year old retired meat packing manager/butcher. We are oil and water so this was big for me. I asked where they sourced. They were wholesalers in east Los Angeles. He paused and said "we made it - we had a smokehouse. We also did the hot dogs for Wienerschnitzel when John Galardi started the chain'". I'd toured the plant, done workers comp cases for them and never ever knew this. Will the new turn of phrase be "it takes a pandemic.."

• Like 6

I am about to take my life in my hands and venture out to the grocery, seeing that the first available pickup date is next week, and the first available delivery date is after that, and I have only one Diet Coke in the fridge. Poor planning on my part. I am now in the throes of the "what else do I need?" frenzy. I know I'm out of carrots. But I am relatively certain there is something critical that I am down to the last dregs in the container, and I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT IT IS.....

Meanwhile, an abcessed tooth has my lip puffed out. Thankfully, my doc called in amoxycillin and did not make me come to the office. I had an appointment to get it pulled, but...guess what? The dentists are all closed but for emergency surgery!

Does anyone know if COVID-19 brings on dementia? If so, I think I may have it.

• Sad 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

I am about to take my life in my hands and venture out to the grocery, seeing that the first available pickup date is next week, and the first available delivery date is after that, and I have only one Diet Coke in the fridge. Poor planning on my part. I am now in the throes of the "what else do I need?" frenzy. I know I'm out of carrots. But I am relatively certain there is something critical that I am down to the last dregs in the container, and I CANNOT REMEMBER WHAT IT IS.....

Meanwhile, an abcessed tooth has my lip puffed out. Thankfully, my doc called in amoxycillin and did not make me come to the office. I had an appointment to get it pulled, but...guess what? The dentists are all closed but for emergency surgery!

Good luck and be safe.  Don't breathe.

I have been taking a ziplock with a couple of Clorox wipes in it with me in my purse.  The grocery store has been out of the wipes that they place by the carts.  Also I wipe down my hands when I get back into the car.

I'm sorry about your tooth :(  I'm glad your doc called something in.  Hopefully that calms it down very soon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

So, I bought these bananas on March 19th.  This picture makes them look a tad yellow.  They are not.  They haven't ripened at all.  Ronnie thinks they forgot to spray them with whatever they spray them with to make that happen????  I dunno.  They are starting to get spots on the peels like they are going bad.

Can you fry green bananas like plantains???  Any ideas??  I don't wanna waste them.

\

I've tried frying them. They want to come apart. Here's a good recipe to use them.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Let me go out on a short limb and suggest that dementia is too strong a word. I too am finding my thought processes warped, but I just believe it is the result of stress, and how can you avoid that right now? I have noticed that I have a hard time with new recipes, get confused when I typically wouldn't. Making the usual suspects is safer, since I do it with half a brain anyway. But tasks I don't ordinarily do become  recipes for mistakes. Yesterday when using the processor to crumble up some biscotti I forgot to put in the blade. Twice. Focus is problematic these days. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

SQUIRELL...

• Haha 7

I picked up my curbside grocery order yesterday.  Four of the items were n/a:  milk, whole chicken, chicken livers (for Lucy), and Living Thyme.  Maybe 20% of the total items.  I don't allow substitutions so maybe I could have gotten other brands or sizes.  I don't need those items now so I'll try my nearer small store in the next few days and see what they have.  And, they waived the 'courtesy charge' for curbside pickup which was a pleasant surprise.

Happy to have gotten that what I did in a timely manner.

• Like 3

Is Ive mentioned previously 

I decided to take advantage of target.Com

home delivery , usually via UPS or USPS  

late in the order sequence , they no longer had full orders

so they put what they had ' loose ' in a large box  and delivered that

im grateful .   packing ?  not so good :

Cans.jpg.1d66ba6196bf01f175197aa6c8fc8f47.jpg

a few dented cans .    I looked them all over and they still seemed ' intact '

So I opened then , paying close attention , and emptied the contents in a bowl for the Micro

having a rare flash of brilliance , I rinsed the can out , will it to the brim and waited to see if there were

leaks in the can.   none i noticed

these have cause me no troubles what so ever.

however , Chef B'  seems to have changed his Rx      sweeter than I remember 

not a problem these days.

• Like 4

here is what Ive been doing w my Fz Veg :

FzVeg.jpg.3aa70466a7305ddfb86f37009b0e3739.jpg

they have been comfortable in the Fz for some time.   this batch came from a freshly opened bag

most sink.    on the bag that was open , and now used up , most floated.  but over time they decided

to rehydrate and sank and were still ' tasty '  sort of 

for this :

1358094754_BeefRavS.jpg.a1f650636af13df29824cf5ad78d0a7e.jpg

packaged ravioli  ( three Bridges )   this time in beef broth , made from SoupBase.com

Minors less salt beef base.   this was not my favorite as i thought it had too much tomato

paste flavo(u)rs .   Its fine now for sure !  Im lucky i have 5 more packs of ravioli , and enough FzVeg for them

Ill vac packs them and fz them for the future as they are close to their   " Better freeze " by date.

• Like 4

As a kid our go to frozen vegetable medley treatment was simmer (pre MW) in a bit of water, drain, and toss with margarine (at the time when butter was "evil") and plenty of green can parmesan. I slipped the steak to the cat and dog and happily scarfed the veg along with the ever present Uncle Ben rice pilaf style.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

IMG_7621.JPG.4d324cc818fd9259a22ea85c4f879c0f.JPG

I'm thinking these may be plantains.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

"  green can parmesan "

remember it well .   that's all you could get in the late '50's

anyway , I like sour , and that stuff was plenty sour

so OK

We let our kids use it, back then.

Sour it was.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

I'm thinking these may be plantains.

Ye that hard ridge speaks to plantain. Green is ok to fry up sliced

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

When I read about the crappy things that some folks are doing during a time when we all should be doing what we can to help and protect each other, I wish for not only a “wow” emoji, but an “angry” one. 😠

@chromedome – I put that very meme on FB about 10 minutes ago.  A friend sent it to me, saying her pastor put it on HER FB page today. 😃 

@Shelby – I’d go with @kayb's idea for those bananas.  I was going to suggest bananas Foster, but hers sounds better.

@kayb - good luck with the store today.  Like Shelby says, don’t breathe.  And I hope the antibiotics do the job, at least until you can get in to the dentist.

• Like 1