• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

54 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But if you are not baking a lot does not a starter waste a lot of flour?

Doesn't have to. If you keep it in the fridge, it can go a loooong time between feedings.

And there's plenty of stuff you can incorporate the "discard" into. We make these quite often: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

More discard recipes from them here: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/collections/sourdough-discard-recipes

WaPo also posted this cracker recipe recently, haven't tried it yet: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/16/want-to-make-the-most-of-your-sourdough-starter-start-with-these-castoff-crackers/

I've started incorporating the discard as a flavor component in yeasted breads, although that doesn't quite fit the current discussion. Have been tinkering with a whole wheat / rye / molasses bread machine loaf using discard, based on a Beth Hensperger recipe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aldi order delivered this morning. They had everything, including ground beef and milk. I did not order eggs, having three dozen farm-fresh in the fridge. Meat loaf tonight; cassoulet tomorrow, as it's going to be chilly and I scored Toulouse sausages in Little Rock last week. 

A nice thing that happened yesterday. I have been checking on an elderly lady from church who has no family nearby. I was out yesterday and asked if she needed anythign. She wanted some disinfectant wipes. No luck, in three stops. Put out a request on Facebook, and within 15 minutes had three offers, one of whom took them to her.

People are good, generally.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

56 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Doesn't have to. If you keep it in the fridge, it can go a loooong time between feedings.

And there's plenty of stuff you can incorporate the "discard" into. We make these quite often: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

More discard recipes from them here: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/collections/sourdough-discard-recipes

WaPo also posted this cracker recipe recently, haven't tried it yet: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/16/want-to-make-the-most-of-your-sourdough-starter-start-with-these-castoff-crackers/

I've started incorporating the discard as a flavor component in yeasted breads, although that doesn't quite fit the current discussion. Have been tinkering with a whole wheat / rye / molasses bread machine loaf using discard, based on a Beth Hensperger recipe.

I made These rolls yesterday.  This was the second time for this recipe and I made the rolls a lot smaller than stated.

The  first rolls were quite big so I made them smaller and used the rest of the dough into a smaller loaf.

It’s really a good recipe.

• Like 1

This week's episode of Evan Kleiman's Good Food podcast is very appropriate to this topic. Interviews with Steve Sando of Rancho Gordo, Carla Lalli Music, a segment with Chef Gino about cooking with kids and some words of wisdom from Evan that I appreciated like, "I'm so grateful I know how to cook," and "Don't call them leftovers, think of them as mis en place for your next meal."
https://kcrw.co/2Qx71cI

• Like 5

On 3/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, Anna N said:

Right after we get the groan button could we please get the sheesh button?

When all was said and done, I realized that I didn't have any cucumbers and I'd rather save my precious yogurt for breakfast:

20200321_120432.jpg

So here's what the finished plate looked like. It looks like a dog's dinner, and it could have used some other colors, but we closed our eyes and enjoyed the flavors. The (over)roasted cauliflower was an excellent accompaniment.

20200321_213358.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

752045976_ScreenShot2020-03-21at7_59_31PM.png.7d3435ab3f179d23926fc2397e103e23.png

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime...and he will most likely buy Photoshop.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

When all was said and done, I realized that I didn't have any cucumbers and I'd rather save my precious yogurt for breakfast:

20200321_120432.jpg

So here's what the finished plate looked like. It looks like a dog's dinner, and it could have used some other colors, but we closed our eyes and enjoyed the flavors. The (over)roasted cauliflower was an excellent accompaniment.

20200321_213358.jpg

What do you mean 'over roasted' - looks perfect to me!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

What's sad is that in a previous life (well before kids) I was quite fluent in technology...thanks all for the help, folks! :)

The cauliflower looks spot on.  Not burnt, caramelized all over - good stuff!

Pulled out a garden pesto from the freezer, going to combine that with a tin of (excellent) organic Italian crushed tomatoes and some GF Pasta tonight - probably a salad as well...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I want to make some low-carb venison and mushroom soup, but I don't have any fresh mushrooms — and I'm afraid to go buy some! :huh:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I want to make some low-carb venison and mushroom soup, but I don't have any fresh mushrooms — and I'm afraid to go buy some! :huh:

Got any tofu you could use as a sub?

Just now, Shelby said:

Got any tofu you could use as a sub?

Hmmm....Yeah, I do have a container of shelf-stable hermetically sealed tofu that I could use.

I forgot all about it!

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What's everyone/anyone's favorite thing to do with chicken wings?

Order them from Red Chillie?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Besides the regular hot wings, I like Asian sticky wings and @Ann_T's Lemon, Sea Salt and Black Pepper Wings

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Naked: Seasoned but not breaded;

first choice - deep fried

second choice - grilled on an outdoor grill

third choice - baked until crispy

Hubby likes his tossed in a sriracha butter sauce and dipped in ranch dressing

Strange to admit, but I've never eaten a wing.  But I just made my 3rd Wacky cake this week (recipe from ElsieD) with a dark chocolate ganache topping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My favorite chicken wings are smoke grilled on the Kamado, then tossed in some margarine, hot sauce, and spices, put back on the grill for about 5 minutes to crisp the skin a bit. Served with celery & blue cheese dressing or a salad.

Re: Wings - salt and pepper - roasted in the oven, perhaps flipped once - convection if possible - till crispy.

Then I make a mayo/dill/garlic dipping sauce which can be boosted with a little bit of Franks Hot Sauce.

Dinner plan changed tonight - decided to pull out some baby lima beans, quick soak - into a pot with veggies and a smoked turkey leg - will finish it up with the pesto - most likely roasted potatoes and fresh sauteed spinach to join in.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I hope I am not the only one that uses the leftover bones and makes a soup from them ... 🤔

• Like 4